Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 02:38
I'll be applying to MBA programs next year. Here are my stats:

White Male, Age 25
GPA: 2.65 , BA History, Top 10 University (US News)
GMAT: 770
Work experience : 4 years on active duty as army intelligence officer, with several leadership positions, deployed to Iraq

Do I have a chance at any of the Top 10-15 MBA programs? I hope that my time as an officer and my GMAT will be enough to offset my poor GPA. My dream school is Dartmouth, can you reccommend any top programs that would look favorably on a high GMAT and military leadership experience, where a low GPA would not be an automatic disqualifier?

Thank you very much for your time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 16:03
Expert's post
Jsparrow7 wrote:
I'll be applying to MBA programs next year. Here are my stats:

White Male, Age 25
GPA: 2.65 , BA History, Top 10 University (US News)
GMAT: 770
Work experience : 4 years on active duty as army intelligence officer, with several leadership positions, deployed to Iraq

Do I have a chance at any of the Top 10-15 MBA programs? I hope that my time as an officer and my GMAT will be enough to offset my poor GPA. My dream school is Dartmouth, can you reccommend any top programs that would look favorably on a high GMAT and military leadership experience, where a low GPA would not be an automatic disqualifier?

Thank you very much for your time.

You're welcome.

Congrats on the GMAT. Before I respond, could you answer a couple of questions. Were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low GPA? Have you taken any classes since finishing your undergrad degree? How were your grades in quant classes?

You may be interested in "Low GMAT/Low GPA in MBA Admissions."

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 07:39
Linda,
To answer you questions, I have not taken any classes post graduation, and will likely not have any time due to my active duty status. My grades in quantitative classes were not good (C in accelerated calculus, C in microecon, withdrew from stat class, two A's in chemistry). However, I think my GMAT proves that I am more than capable of handling quantitative classes, I just have to show somehow that I am more disciplined and focused now than I was 4 years ago. Besides the lack of discipline on my studies, I was also faced with parents who did not support my decision to join ROTC, and I was only able to afford to finish school thanks to an ROTC scholarship. Not sure if any of this matters, but just thought I'd share my story.

Any advice on which top schools I would have the best chance at? Right now I'm considering applying early action to Dartmouth, and first round to Duke and UVA.
Expert Post

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 12:51
Expert's post
Jsparrow7 wrote:
Linda,
To answer you questions, I have not taken any classes post graduation, and will likely not have any time due to my active duty status. My grades in quantitative classes were not good (C in accelerated calculus, C in microecon, withdrew from stat class, two A's in chemistry). However, I think my GMAT proves that I am more than capable of handling quantitative classes, I just have to show somehow that I am more disciplined and focused now than I was 4 years ago. Besides the lack of discipline on my studies, I was also faced with parents who did not support my decision to join ROTC, and I was only able to afford to finish school thanks to an ROTC scholarship. Not sure if any of this matters, but just thought I'd share my story.

Any advice on which top schools I would have the best chance at? Right now I'm considering applying early action to Dartmouth, and first round to Duke and UVA.

Do share you story. It provides context for the grades. And then point to recent evidence that you are disciplined. They will know about the GMAT so give them other evidence of self-discipline.

Those schools are definitely military-friendly. (Please see recent podcasts from MBA Podcaster on theMilitary to MBA) Also try to bring out any work (if you can discuss it) that is quantitatively demanding. Your chances at Duke and Darden are better than at Dartmouth, but you are very hard to predict because of the disconnect between your undergrad GPA and your GMAT/Military experience.

FYI, we have an editor (Jennifer Bloom) who has worked with several applicants deployed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 23:34
Thank you. Last questions - someone recommended that I should take some quantitative classes online through UCLA extension, and get A's in them. Online would be the only medium I had time for. Would this help my case at top schools (i.e quantitative aptitude, taking classes while working full time) ?
Expert Post

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 14:47
Expert's post
Jsparrow7 wrote:
Thank you. Last questions - someone recommended that I should take some quantitative classes online through UCLA extension, and get A's in them. Online would be the only medium I had time for. Would this help my case at top schools (i.e quantitative aptitude, taking classes while working full time) ?

Given that you are posted overseas and cannot take in class, graded courses, I think this is an excellent idea. My concern: you don't want to take classes if your other obligations will prevent you from completing them successfully.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 12:57
Assuming I can get A's in 3-4 quant courses over the next year, how would you consider my chances of admission when applying Early Action to Dartmouth, or EA/R1 to Duke (w/ strong essays and recs)? Thanks again.
Expert Post

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA, Army Officer [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2010, 14:59
Expert's post
Jsparrow7 wrote:
Assuming I can get A's in 3-4 quant courses over the next year, how would you consider my chances of admission when applying Early Action to Dartmouth, or EA/R1 to Duke (w/ strong essays and recs)? Thanks again.

competitive under those circumstances.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553