Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 06:54
Hello,

Can someone please evaluate my profile?

Program: MBA(FT), Management Consulting (career switch)
GMAT: 720
GPA: 2.72/4.0 B.Sc. Electrical Engineering (Top 8 Engineering School - U.S. ) Minor in Economics; First generation college graduate
Work experience(WE): 4 Years at Mat; Mid-Sized Public Company ($3B) s (Year 1: Applications Engineer, Year 2: Promotion to Asst. Product Mgr; Year 3: Promoted to Product Manager - Current)
Country of prior residence: U.A.E (Born and brought up in Dubai, U.A.E -18 years); Country of current residence since 7 years - USA
Extra-curriculars/community: Undergrad: Director of Ideas & Issues committee in the largest student board, Selected as Research Assistant for a top 3 technical university in Europe
Post College - Strong.

Languages: English (fluent); Arabic (fluent); French (basic)

Schools I want to apply to:

School 1: Cornell Johnson

School 2: Dartmouth Tuck

School 3: Duke Fuqua

School 4: Yale SOM

School 5: Carnegie Mellon

School 6: Georgetown

School 7: Chicago Booth

School 8: Wharton

School 9: NYU

School 10: Columbia

School 11: Texas Mccombs
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [2] , given: 48

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Whoa, you want to apply to all of those schools? I recommend that you focus that list down to 5-6 schools. You can MAYBE apply to 1 or 2 more if you strategically spread your apps out across Round 1 and Round 2, but I rarely see a successful applicant apply to 8 or more schools.

As you know, your GPA is the real deal breaker. It's tough for anyone to get into a top-10 school with that low of a GPA. You can take college courses (and get As in them) to offset this somewhat, but taking a person with a 2.7 GPA requires the school to look the other way in terms of the impact it will have on their rankings... Unfortunately, that's just the way it is, even though schools will normally publicly deny this. Even the lowest-ranked schools on your list have average GPAs in the 3.2-3.3 range.

It's not impossible, but I do think that Booth and Wharton will be very long shots for you. Your best bet is probably those schools in the Fuqua to Georgetown range, assuming that the rest of your application (including recos) is extremely strong.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 16:06
Thanks Scott!

I will not be applying to all these schools. This was just a range that I shall narrow down. I do agree that I should utilize my resources towards the 5-6 schools that I have a reasonable shot at getting into.

Assuming I have a very strong application, do you think McCombs could be a safety? What do you think about my chances at Ross?

Thanks again!
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 12:26
Expert's post
Hmm... I wouldn't call any of those schools a "safety" for you. That's not a knock on your profile as much as a reminder that McCombs, while ranked lower than most of the other schools, has an acceptance rate around 34%. That's obviously way higher than the acceptance rates at the top-ten schools, but it's still not a slam dunk (esp. with your GPA).

I do think you have a good shot there, though!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 12:09
Thanks Scott

Would re taking the GMAT and scoring a 760+ help in any way?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Profile Eval - Low GPA; decent app [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 16:21
Expert's post
It might a bit, but it won't serve as a substitute for doing great in some college classes. Ideally, get both under your belt!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews