Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Low Gpa, High GMAT, Army officer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval - Low Gpa, High GMAT, Army officer [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 04:37
I'll be applying to MBA programs next year. Here are my stats:

White Male, Age 25
GPA: 2.65 , BA History, Top 10 University (US News)
GMAT: 770
Work experience : 4 years on active duty as army intelligence officer, with several leadership positions, deployed to Iraq

Do I have a chance at any of the Top 10-15 MBA programs? I hope that my time as an officer and my GMAT will be enough to offset my poor GPA. My dream school is Dartmouth, can you reccommend any top programs that would look favorably on a high GMAT and military leadership experience, where a low GPA would not be an automatic disqualifier?

Thank you very much for your time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

Re: Profile Eval - Low Gpa, High GMAT, Army officer [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 14:21
Expert's post
Hello,

First of all, thank you for serving our country!

I don't have much to go by here (such as what you want to do after business school), but top MBA programs do like military applicants because of their leadership experience and the variety of challenges they've faced. The low GPA will indeed hurt you... You've probably already heard this, but a 2.65 GPA will unfortunately be a deal breaker at most top U.S. business schools. There are certainly things you can do to help over come that -- such as a strong GMAT score (a 770 is great) and additional college coursework -- but it may not be enough. At the end of the day, when HBS has so many amazing applicants to consider for a limited number of seats, why should they take a chance on someone with such a big blemish?

I don't say that to be mean to to discourage you... It's just the way it is, unfortunately. You can always apply and take your chances, but just know that the number of people starting HBS this fall with that low of a GPA is probably in the single digits (out of more than 900 students).

Having said that, with the right kind of experiences to talk about in your application, the right recommendations that hit on all the right notes, etc., you will have a shot at top-ten or top-15 schools. It will partly be a crap shoot based on how willing the admissions office is to "look the other way" on some low GPA candidates when your application comes in.

BTW, Veritas Prep offers 20% discounts to all active duty military and honorably discharged veterans (no one gets a bigger discount), if you're looking for some more in-depth assistance!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews