Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 14:00
First off, I can't believe how amazing GMATClub is for having a forum like this. I'm really looking forward to any feedback I receive and will treat everyone's words, thoughts, advice like gold. Thanks in advance.

Yes, such a low GPA......allow me to briefly explain:

I'm currently 30 yrs. old. My undergrad spanned 2003-Spring 2011. I was going pretty much full time until 2005, then I found out my gf and I were having a baby. We got married, have had another kid since. I pretty much went part-time in school from 2005 forward, receiving "E's" (F equivalents) in some of my classes, having to retake courses, etc. At one point I was on academic probation :( My only saving grace (wishful thinking at least) is that from 2005-to current I've had some decent entrepreneurial successes. In 2005 i started doing online marketing consulting, in 2008 my largest client asked me to come on as their Marketing Director, I accepted and have been there since (current). In 2010 myself and a business partner started a company selling collegiate licensed merchandise for various PAC-12 schools. We now have a standard national license through the NCAA and looking to continue our growth.

That all being said, school got pushed to the side. Which sucks, looking back. It was while I was creating my startup company (business plan, pro formas, etc., etc.) that made me realize I could really benefit from an MBA degree. Having a formal business education was something I certainly lacked (my undergrad degree was in Behavioral Science..ouch). Thus, the road to taking the GMAT began. HOWEVER, it was almost too late for my GPA by then.

So here I am. I just took the GMAT for the first time this week. Scored an even 700. My AWA score is in the mail. (I guarantee it will be a 5.5 or 6, I've never written better essays in my life than those written on test day.) What do you think? Do I even have a shot at ANY top schools with that 2.5? Lay it on me :)

And again THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time

ALEX

Knewton Knerd

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 08:43
In short, yes you have a shot at b-schools. It just comes down to the range of b-schools that are within reach.

I'd say schools like Haas, UCLA, USC are sweet spots. You can take a look at UT as well. That's assuming you're focused mostly on the west coast. Beyond that it's hard to say because I don't know what schools you're looking at or what you want to do post-MBA (for real, not what you say in the essays - and more important than your goals is where you and your family prefer to live post-MBA).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 09:58
AlexMBAApply wrote:
In short, yes you have a shot at b-schools. It just comes down to the range of b-schools that are within reach.

I'd say schools like Haas, UCLA, USC are sweet spots. You can take a look at UT as well. That's assuming you're focused mostly on the west coast. Beyond that it's hard to say because I don't know what schools you're looking at or what you want to do post-MBA (for real, not what you say in the essays - and more important than your goals is where you and your family prefer to live post-MBA).

Thanks for the response, Alex. Yes, those three are high on the list, as well as UT (I served an LDS mission in Austin, TX, I would love to go back to to to school there, and ultimately wouldn't mind planting my family there for a long while). BYU is also a consideration, however I have heard that school places the GPA very highly on their list for prospective students. My goal for post-MBA is entrepreneurial all the way. I want a change of professional venue. While marketing comes somewhat natural to me, I hate it. I'm ready to move on to other aspects of business. I certainly am interested in placing a strong emphasis in finance. But my goal is to gain the entrepreneurial skill-sets to launch me into venture investment endeavors, maybe consulting, etc.

Well, your comments certainly give me the confidence to move forward with this. My main question now is how realistic is my goal to be in a B-school by Fall 2012? I guess what I'm asking is, will schools look at the date of my diploma and say "Oh, he hasn't even been in the work force for a year", when in fact I've been in the work force for 6+ years. Any additional thoughts based on this information would be great. Thanks again.

4LEX

Knewton Knerd

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 13:24
It's too late to be wondering whether it's realistic or not. Right now, the applications are out, most of the R1 deadlines have passed (or will soon pass), so your focus should be on doing the best you can on getting the applications done, pure and simple. Wondering about whether you have a chance or not isn't really productive - *all* applicants have to be prepared for the possibility that they won't get in anywhere, but that shouldn't dictate whether they should be applying or not. There's always a level of uncertainty, much like being an entrepreneur. Again, like I mentioned to another person here in another thread: you are who you are. Why worry about what is already in your past? Some people may not like it, others don't care. Some may never like you because you're LDS. Some will value it.

Put it this way: if a specific adcom has something against you because of how you got your college degree, should that determine whether you should even try at all?

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 13:46
AlexMBAApply wrote:
It's too late to be wondering whether it's realistic or not. Right now, the applications are out, most of the R1 deadlines have passed (or will soon pass), so your focus should be on doing the best you can on getting the applications done, pure and simple. Wondering about whether you have a chance or not isn't really productive - *all* applicants have to be prepared for the possibility that they won't get in anywhere, but that shouldn't dictate whether they should be applying or not. There's always a level of uncertainty, much like being an entrepreneur. Again, like I mentioned to another person here in another thread: you are who you are. Why worry about what is already in your past? Some people may not like it, others don't care. Some may never like you because you're LDS. Some will value it.

Put it this way: if a specific adcom has something against you because of how you got your college degree, should that determine whether you should even try at all?

Wow, that was exactly what I needed. Thank you again, Alex.

Knewton Knerd

Re: Profile Eval - Low low low GPA:2.5 GMAT:700 AWA:In the mail   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2011, 13:46