Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval (MBA after PhD (math/cs)) -> Finance.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval (MBA after PhD (math/cs)) -> Finance. [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 12:12
Hi Alex,

Could you please do a profile evaluation for me and tell me what chances do I stand in front of an Adcom? Could you also tell me whether my rough selection is good (or am I too ambitious?)?

Bachelors: BTech Computer Science (3.5 GPA)
Masters: MTech Computer Science (3.8 GPA)

A years work experience here with a high profile software firm.

PhD: Computer Algebra (theoretical CS / math) "Magna Cum Laude".

Working with an software firm as researcher / part time consultancy.
Will have 2 years of experience before the start of desired program.

So, total work experience: 3 full years (and was employed during a part of PhD too)

International experience: A part of masters and complete phd was done outside home country/continent = Germany(6 years).

GMAT: 730 (96th percentile)
(Q: 50 = 92nd percentile)
(V: 40 = 89th percentile)
AWA: 4.5

Notable experience: I have done a lot of teaching during PhD (complete courses, self designed).

A moderate amount of social/leadership activities.

Goals: Finance (investment banking) -> start small --> grow up Senior manager in a few years --> CFO (in 15-20 years).

What chances do I stand? (where?)

My list of schools:
    Wharton Penn,
    Booth Chicago,
    Tuck School,
    London Business School.

Am I aiming too high?

Thanks,
Deeps.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval (MBA after PhD (math/cs)) -> Finance. [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 17:23
First of all, you're going to have a hard time to be honest getting recruited into an investment banking job - they want young meat; by the time you graduate you will be older than some of the people you're reporting to. It's not impossible, but an Indian PhD in his early 30s is going to be a tough sell for investment banking (corp fin/ M&A); these firms will more likely want you in those quant roles on the trading desks (where you won't need an MBA).

As for b-schools, you're going to be a stretch at most of the top schools simply because you have a lot of education but relatively little work experience at your age (and research/teaching experience during your PhD program doesn't really count). So by the time you're 31, you would've had just 3 years experience and a ton of degrees, which can cause employers (finance or otherwise) to be a bit hesitant.

Have you ever thought of trying to work on the quant desks at the banks? You can probably do that right now with what you have, and they like PhDs (especially in your discipline and/or physics); it'll likely be a better fit for you anyhow than the meat grinder/client-oriented BS that is investment banking.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Eval (MBA after PhD (math/cs)) -> Finance.   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2011, 17:23