Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 07:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All! I was planning on applying to the Consortium during round 2, but I'm doubting myself now and I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of feedback on my profile.

I took the GMAT once last year and scored a paltry 530. I have been re-studying to take it again, which has been going well, and I am scheduled to take it in the 2nd week of October. I am mid 20's, US born 1st generation American and my undergraduate GPA is in the low 3's from a highly ranked public institution in the social sciences. I have been working as a program manager at a non-profit for the past few years, and also did one year of a service corps. My goal is to become a business consultant for non-profit businesses. My GPA was around 3.3 and I didn't fare too well in the required math courses, but I did retake them at community college and got higher grades.

With this in mind, I'm thinking that maybe I should delay applying for another year and enroll in finance and accounting courses, and maybe even re-take calculus, to show that I do have the aptitude to succeed in a rigorous academic environment. I would also like to transition into another job so that I can get some hands on experience in consulting and strategic planning, and postponing my apps to next year would also give me time to do that. I also haven't had much consistent leadership experience outside of work, although I have started up an organization as part of work to assist with the program that I manage, which has been pretty successful.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to boost my profile to make myself more competitive are greatly appreciated! If you need any additional information from me, please let me know. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Bamboo09 on 21 Mar 2014, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 539 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 22:44
Expert's post
Bamboo09 wrote:
Hey All! I was planning on applying to the Consortium during round 2, but I'm doubting myself now and I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of feedback on my profile.

I took the GMAT once last year and scored a paltry 530. I have been re-studying to take it again, which has been going well, and I am scheduled to take it in the 2nd week of October. I am 25, US born 2nd generation American (my parents immigrated to America from Africa) and my undergraduate GPA is a 3.27 from a highly ranked public institution (maize and blue) in Sociology with a minor in Urban Studies. I have been working as a program manager at a non-profit for the past 3 years, and also did one year of AmeriCorps*VISTA. My goal is to become a business consultant/strategist for small, creative, and non-profit businesses and my target schools are Haas, Stern, Georgetown, Emory, Yale SOM, and UT Austin. I was on academic probation after my first semester of undergrad because I had withdrawn from econ and got a D in Calculus. The only reason my GPA is low is because of low grades in calculus, econ, and statistics (which were all D's. I scored A's and B's on every single other course throughout undergrad and even got academic honors during my last few semesters.) I retook calculus and econ at community college, scoring a C and an A respectively. I just started on my consortium application and noticed that every single school requests to know about any academic probation.

With this in mind, I'm thinking that maybe I should delay applying for another year and enroll in finance and accounting courses, and maybe even re-take calculus, to show that I do have the aptitude to succeed in a rigorous academic environment. I would also like to transition into another job so that I can get some hands on experience in consulting and strategic planning, and postponing my apps to next year would also give me time to do that. I also haven't had much consistent leadership experience outside of work, although I have started up an organization as part of work to assist with the program that I manage, which has been pretty successful.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to boost my profile to make myself more competitive are greatly appreciated! If you need any additional information from me, please let me know. Thanks so much!

Well the obvious thing to start with is your greatest weakness - the GMAT. With a 530, you won't get in anywhere interesting, so plan on studying and retaking (even several times if necessary) till you get the highest score you can possibly get, and THEN think about applying.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 13:22
I think your experience is sufficient but your GMAT score is the problem. The latter deadline for the Consortium is January 5th with the GMAT deadline on December 15th. That gives you time to retake the exam multiple times to improve your score for this year’s application.

By taking the GMAT multiple times you will figure out what your maximum is. But even if you are not able to increase your score, I suggest you apply anyway because the fact that you are applying from two different underrepresented minority groups will give you a shot at the less competitive Consortium Member Schools.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:08
Expert's post
I agree with Jon. Don't worry about applying until you have, in hand, the highest possible GMAT score. By applying through the consortium and from an underrepresented pool, that gives you some advantages. But you don't want those advantages to be used up by a very low GMAT. I'm glad the preparations are going well for your retake so just heads down on that and if, after that effort, you need to retake it again, that's ok. Just get it up as high as possible!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 06:29
Thanks all for the feedback! I am studying hard for my GMAT and postponed it for a month so that I could get some more studying in. I will come back and update my post once I have re-taken the exam. I will also enroll in an accounting course through BYU online to show my quant capabilities.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 17

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 08:39
For the GMAT, the trick is to time yourself, go back and check your errors with a different color ink, and use the GMAT Archer from Manhattan GMAT. WHen you do that and go through every problem in the original guide (even and especially for verbal) you'll see great improvements in your score. This will require a good 100 hours but concentrated practice but if you do it then the GMAT will be your strong point rather than your weak point in your application.

Bruce

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:11
So just as an update, I retook the GMAT last week and got a 460 :( . I was like 17% percentile in quant and I think 23% in verbal. It was devastating. AWA went fine, I got a 7 on IR, but once I hit the quant section, I took too long on the first few problems and my timing got way off. I'm not even sure if I hit submit on the final question before the timer ran out. It was a mess. Then during my break, I sat down to eat a snack and next thing I knew I got back to the computer and my time had already started, so my verbal was a nightmare. I was thinking about how I had messed up throughout the whole section, and could not concentrate.

I collected my results sheet and went home defeated. However, after doing some deep thinking, getting my MBA is definitely my next stop on my journey, and I'm not going to give up. I know exactly where I went wrong: Timing. I did not do a single practice test. I was so used to taking my time on practice problems, that when it was time for the real deal, I blanked.

I am rescheduling for December so that I can still meet the Consortium GMAT deadline. I'm also going to have to concurrently work on my essays and recommendations, but my eye is on the prize so I'm just going to have to tough it out. I am scheduling weekly practice tests, I am going to go through all of my lessons and practice problems on Magoosh GMAT, and I am going to buy the OG 13 and do all of the problems in it, because I currently have the OG 12, but I have a photographic memory so it is hard for me to re-do problems because I have already memorized the answers. I am also going to read the economist and the wall street journal articles first thing in the morning when I get into work to prep my brain for the long passages.

I will not be defeated!

Time to get into high gear!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 539 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 23:53
Expert's post
Bamboo09 wrote:
So just as an update, I retook the GMAT last week and got a 460 :( . I was like 17% percentile in quant and I think 23% in verbal. It was devastating. AWA went fine, I got a 7 on IR, but once I hit the quant section, I took too long on the first few problems and my timing got way off. I'm not even sure if I hit submit on the final question before the timer ran out. It was a mess. Then during my break, I sat down to eat a snack and next thing I knew I got back to the computer and my time had already started, so my verbal was a nightmare. I was thinking about how I had messed up throughout the whole section, and could not concentrate.

I collected my results sheet and went home defeated. However, after doing some deep thinking, getting my MBA is definitely my next stop on my journey, and I'm not going to give up. I know exactly where I went wrong: Timing. I did not do a single practice test. I was so used to taking my time on practice problems, that when it was time for the real deal, I blanked.

I am rescheduling for December so that I can still meet the Consortium GMAT deadline. I'm also going to have to concurrently work on my essays and recommendations, but my eye is on the prize so I'm just going to have to tough it out. I am scheduling weekly practice tests, I am going to go through all of my lessons and practice problems on Magoosh GMAT, and I am going to buy the OG 13 and do all of the problems in it, because I currently have the OG 12, but I have a photographic memory so it is hard for me to re-do problems because I have already memorized the answers. I am also going to read the economist and the wall street journal articles first thing in the morning when I get into work to prep my brain for the long passages.

I will not be defeated!

Time to get into high gear!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! that IS pretty devastating. Take your time before you take your next exam. There's no point or advantage rushing things, until you feel confident that you will get the best score you can.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 19:17
You definitely have the right attitude. You will not be defeated. Please keep us all updated.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 11:41
I'm back with an update... I just re-took the GMAT and I scored a 560 :-(. It is my highest score ever but alas it was not the 640 I was aiming for. My stats were:
Q: 32 (28%)
V: 35 (75%)
Total: 560 (49%)

I messed up on IR this time and got a 2 (23%). Despite concentrating solely on Quant, I got my worst score ever. I barely touched Verbal and got my highest score ever.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm 4 weeks away from the deadline and things are looking bleak.

Last edited by Bamboo09 on 08 Jan 2014, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 15:25
I am sorry your GMAT score did not increase, but my advice still holds in that you should still apply to the Consortium and your target schools because you come from two underrepresented minority groups. I have had many successful candidates with similar profiles.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178

Re: Profile Eval - Mid 20's female with non-profit experience   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2013, 15:25