Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval: Military Officer, 730 GMAT, Crap GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.82
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 6

Profile Eval: Military Officer, 730 GMAT, Crap GPA [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 07:04
Good Afternoon All,

Let me start off by thanking everyone in advance for their help with this. I am looking to get my MBA with the goal of getting in to Management Consulting.

Nationality: US

GMAT: 730(Q49V40)
Education:
B.S. Computational Mathematics 2005 - 2.82 GPA (w/ slight upward trend)
- Air Force ROTC for final 2 years; Held highest cadet leadership position over ~75 cadets; Numerous accolades and awards for leadership & performance
- Arnold Air Society (Community service club for ROTC Cadets) - Held leadership position
- Worked full time throughout college at Circuit City in various leadership positions
M.A. Interdisciplinary - Emphasis in International Relations 2011- 3.7 GPA (Includes an 'A' in graduate level stats)

Work Experience:
2005-2010 Air Force Intelligence Officer
- Stationed in Korea (1 Year) - Worked with A-10s & F-16s (fighters); ran Personal Recovery program for the Wing; went through survival school - Overall, a good first assignment where I was ranked highly among my peers by our leadership, but admittedly not too sexy
- Stationed in Germany (3 Years) - Worked as a liaison between U.S. and Israeli Military Forces and traveled to Israel often in these efforts; Supervised a 7 person team responsible for Intelligence training of NATO and partner nation intelligence officers and international special operations forces - included travel throughout Europe for training
- Deployed to Iraq (6 months...an admittedly short time compared to my Army & Marine counterparts out there) - Served as a liaison between the Counter-Bomb Task Force and various Law Enforcement and Intelligence Agencies; Redesigned the entire support program of the counter-bomb Task Force's efforts toward intelligence and law enforcement collections; Ended up getting an award from the FBI Director and a fairly high medal for my rank at the time (DMSM as a 1Lt for my military brethren out there), which will be explained in civilian terms in my Letters of Rec

2010-2012 Intelligence Analyst (Working through a defense consulting firm)
- Supported a Special Operations Task Force, leading a team of 5 analysts while deployed (2 deployment to Afghanistan for a total of 8 months); Wrote some relatively important analytic reports and authored a background paper and talking points which were used by Senior U.S. Gov't personnel in talks with foreign heads of state; Several of my reports were also cited by Petraeus (pre-scandal) and were used in the shaping of national-level foreign policy

2012-2013 Intelligence Advisor (Working through a defense consulting firm)
- Supported the same Special Operations Task Force (though this was a promotion) for approximately 6 months; Performed similar analysis as discussed in the previous position
- Served as senior Intelligence Advisor to an Office of the Director of National Intelligence initiative to enhance a social collaboration platform bridging the Intelligence Community with Academia, Industry, etc - this position is a mix of advisory and operations management, providing me a small glimpse in to the business world

Awards, Achievements, & Extracurriculars:
- Plenty of awards & recognition from my military days which should stratify me from my peers
- Decent on community/extracurriculars (American Heart Association, Special Olympics Volunteer, variety of military organizations, some tutoring, etc)

International Experience:
1 Year Korea, 3 Years Germany (though 6 months of that was in Iraq), 8 months Afghanistan, plenty of travel

Extras:
- I'm a language buff, so I've taken a year of Korean (while living in Korea) and a semester each of French and Spanish (to prep for some travel); I also learned proficient German while living abroad
- Played in a few cover bands

This schools I'm looking at are as follows (though I am open to recommendations):
Reach - Wharton, Tuck
Competitive - Darden, Duke, Ross, Anderson
Safety - Texas

I'm entertaining LBS & INSEAD as well, though I haven't quite made up my mind.

Again, thanks to everyone for entertaining my ramblings, and any and all suggestions are much appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Military Officer, 730 GMAT, Crap GPA [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 07:31
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your profile. Overall it was a strong profile for admission to top MBA programs, if you are able to put together compelling essays, and it was put together well/explained well which bodes well for how you'll explain it all on the applications. ;)

Your main sore spot as you can probably imagine is your undergrad GPA; BUT you have two positives that are more recent than that and do a great job showing you'll handle b-school well-- your GMAT score and GPA in your masters degree program, so I wouldn't worry too much about undergrad at this point.

As long as you can successfully translate your military experiences into demonstrating key skills you've gained that will help you in b-school and in your future career (very do-able), and create strong essays demonstrating who you are, what you'll bring to the class, and WHY this MBA (at that school) is right for you, you should have good chances at any top b-school programs. Your international experience and language experience is a plus, and it sounds like you likely have a lot of great experiences to draw from in terms of leadership, team work, problem-solving, etc.

As for specific schools, your list seems appropriate, and I'd feel good about your chances even at a reach program if you put together a strong application and can really explain why you want the MBA. If you provide more insight into WHY you've chosen those specific schools vs others it might be easier to provide any additional thoughts on other programs if relevant. Also if international experiences interest you, which it sounds like they do, then you may want to continue to consider LBS and/or INSEAD, as those classes will be almost entirely "international" in terms of where students come from (check out class profiles at each to get a feel), vs US programs which are often 60-70% American students, plus it could be easier to make international connections, work on projects in various countries, etc. BUT depends to a certain degree where you'd like to work after b-school and really what you are looking for in a program. All are great programs on your list. Let me know if you have further questions and good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php