Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - MS Acct, chances/advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval - MS Acct, chances/advice? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 13:55
I feel that you guys can still give me some good insight as I'm looking into a top business program.

I am hoping to obtain a MS Acct. Looking at UT-Austin (top choice), SMU, UTD, TCU, in short: any Texas school is under consideration.

Undergrad GPA/background: B.A. Advertising from Southern Methodist University. Upper Level Course GPA (what is used at UT) - 3.35 (may go up as I guesstimated this on the lower end).

Minor in Business Administration.
Grades in pre-reqs for UT-Austin program:
A in Macroecon
A- in Microecon
B in Financial Accounting
A in Statistics

Work experience during undergrad/present:

Present - I currently work at an advertising agency (200+ employees, 4 offices in 3 cities) specializing in internal operations and processes. Much of what I do relies heavily upon financial reporting and analysis. I work very closely with our Finance Manager, Senior VP Operations, and Director of Project Management and make a lot of effort to perfect our billable time (making sure everything that is billable has a billable rate associated, just for an example), in addition to manipulating lots of our financial data to get actual numbers to give to management throughout the company. This job has made me extremely proficient with Excel and I feel very comfortable and have created from scratch new reports to meet the needs of my manager.

Past - I have 6 months of teller experience working at a bank.

Irrelevant but still work experience: I have had a semester long internship at an advertising agency specializing in event coordination for promotions.

Letters of Recommendation (confirmed):

1. Financial Planning and Analysis Manager at current job
2. 2 professors from upper level undergraduate coursework (including my capstone class professor)
3. President/CEO of the bank that I worked
4. VP of the bank that I worked at

3&4 will probably double as personal recommendations, as they have known me my entire life.

Community Service:

I have put in a considerable amount of service to Campfire USA while in undergrad.

GMAT: I have not taken, hoping you all can advise on a score to shoot for to have my best chance at UT-Austin. I am a good test taker (I have scored a 174 on the LSAT when I was considering law earlier in my undergrad career). I have a plethora of the official guides on hand to study in addition to the set of 8 manhattan GMAT guides.

Other: I am a lifelong TX resident, first generation college student (first to graduate in my family w/ Bachelors).

Can you all advise on if I would have a shot at UT-Austin, if so what GMAT should I be shooting for? Does this work experience help alleviate what appears to be a lower GPA? Is this GPA ultimately going to kill me even with a high GMAT?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Profile Eval - MS Acct, chances/advice?   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2011, 13:55