Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:49
Hi Alex,

I posted on Veritas as well, but I would also really appreciate your thoughts on my 3rd round application strategy. I am putting together my 3rd round apps right now, and I want to know if I should bother applying to schools that discourage 3rd round apps. Kellogg and Wharton actually tell you to apply by R2, so should I forget those schools?

My profile:

26 at matriculation, Russian-Canadian, female, speak 4 languages. All WE and education in Canada. GMAT 760 (49Q, 47V, 6.0 AWA). B.Commerce, GPA 3.9 (graduated 4 years ago from an okay school)

WE: co-op in university (mostly public sector). Then, marketing stint at a start-up, left to help my mother start small business (now successful), spent a year in a small tech consulting firm as analyst, now working in public sector with solid responsibility and a promotion up a level after a year. I have accomplishments (showing vision/initiative) at each job. Short-term goal is to career change into consulting, with entrepreneurship in the longer term.

ECs: Lots of extracurricular leadership and case competitions in university. Currently, mostly fitness and creative (skiing, photography, etc.)

Any thoughts on 3rd round friendly schools? Where would you apply if you were me? My current list is HBS, Columbia, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Wharton. I am interested in Stanford and Haas as well, but technology is not a major interest for me (even though entrepreneurship is).

Thanks so much!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:10
US b-schools want internationals (non-US citizens or those without green cards) to apply by the January deadlines for US immigration reasons - because you won't get a student visa in time for school starting in September if you apply Round 3.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:19
Canadian citizens don't need a Visa - just a confirmation of admission when you cross the border.

Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:24
They don't need an immigration visa to enter the country as a tourist, but they still need an F-1 student visa to matriculate as a full-time student (just like Canadians need an H1 or TN visa to work full-time), and that takes a few months to process.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:28
What do you think about the school choices?

Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 08:22
I think your choices are ambitious (even for Round 1 or 2), but if you really want to go to these schools - then by all means apply. Just know that all the schools on your list are stretches. If you want schools where you have a more reasonable shot, you may want to look at schools like Duke, Darden, Michigan, NYU, UCLA, Cornell, Yale. These are the range of schools where you'll have a better shot. And schools outside the top 16 such as the Canadian schools (Ivey/Rotman/Queen's) and regionals like Texas, USC, UNC, CMU, and Georgetown will be safeties.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 14:54
AlexMBAApply wrote:
They don't need an immigration visa to enter the country as a tourist, but they still need an F-1 student visa to matriculate as a full-time student (just like Canadians need an H1 or TN visa to work full-time), and that takes a few months to process.

I've been doing some research on this as I'm Canadian and will matriculate at a school in the US. Also talked with some current students, as well as some school international offices.

To clarify - one needs a F-1 Student Status to matriculate, and it can be obtained at the border when you enter.

The difference is that Canadians don't need the F-1 Visa, "Visa" meaning "Key" to enter the country. You show up at the border crossing, make sure you have your I-20 and ALL related documentation, just as if you would apply formally for a F-1 visa. You get interviewed on the spot, you get a I-94 with F-1 status written/stamped on it. Think of the visa of a pre-approval/pre-clearance to enter.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/visa/F-1/index.html

The above website is one of the best resources on the matter I've seen yet. The US Consulate in Canada's website is a bit confusing as they don't explain it well enough, but they do say that Canadian's don't need a Visa http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/canadians.asp.

So yes, in general, schools want internationals to apply earlier due to visa processing, but Canadians are a special situation (citizens of Bermuda also) of the (current as of today) US immigration rules. So a Round 3 application is possible.
Re: Profile eval (multilingual female, 760, 3rd rd)   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2011, 14:54