Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Non Traditional

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Eval - Non Traditional [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 01:29
I am looking for some guidance on where I might be a competitive applicant. Many thanks for your help in advance.

English M 29
GMAT - 740 (49 / 41)
Undergrad - BA Economics SEC School - GPA 2.3 (Multi Fs)

Work Experience : (2 promotions in 3.5 years / 1 individual award / all in London)
- 18 months as an associate in Ops at an Asset Manager
- 1 year as an Assistant Vice President in Internal Strategy at a Bulge Bracket IB
- 1 year as a Vice President Global Product Manager in Analytics at the same BB IVB

ECs:
2 years of professional rugby in Europe before university
During college: club rugby team, VP & Treasurer for rugby team. Worked 30hrs/wk for a family business (defense contractor)
Post college: local youth rugby team coach, Arts & Culture Network board member (work organization)

GPA Mitigation: No drama, simply didnt realize the value of education at that point in my life and focused too much on rugby, work and other ECs. I am the first in my family to graduate from high school and simply wasn't prepared for college. I have an alternate transcript of 4 courses of a quantative nature all with As.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Dream MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: DreamMBA Inc.
Schools: HBS '16, INSEAD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Eval - Non Traditional [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 15:04
Expert's post
davis98 wrote:
I am looking for some guidance on where I might be a competitive applicant. Many thanks for your help in advance.

English M 29
GMAT - 740 (49 / 41)

Work Experience : (2 promotions in 3.5 years / 1 individual award / all in London)
- 1 year as an Assistant Vice President in Internal Strategy at a Bulge Bracket IB
- 1 year as a Vice President Global Product Manager in Analytics at the same BB IVB

ECs:
During college: club rugby team, VP & Treasurer for rugby team. Worked 30hrs/wk for a family business (defense contractor)
Post college: local youth rugby team coach, Arts & Culture Network board member (work organization)

GPA Mitigation: No drama, simply didnt realize the value of education at that point in my life and focused too much on rugby, work and other ECs. I am the first in my family to graduate from high school and simply wasn't prepared for college. I have an alternate transcript of 4 courses of a quantative nature all with As.

Davis, you have an impressive profile. Your work experience, ECs and GMAT score make you competitive for any top school. Your complimentary course work and good GMAT score should be sufficient enough for adcom to convince that you have the analytical/quant skills to deal with the coursework.

Given your experience, I assume that your post-MBA career goal is PE/VC or IB. If that's the case, then you should apply to LBS, Booth, Columbia and Wharton as your top choices. Choose a couple of safety schools beyond M7 for hedging your risks.

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - Non Traditional [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 16:53
davis98,
Your successful career, professional rugby story, GMAT score, and alternative transcript will go a long way toward mitigating your GPA. I suggest writing an optional essay focusing not on the 'value of education' angle but on the 'first in the family' material and the amount of time your rugby and work required. I think you could be competitive at UK programs like Oxford and Cambridge (and below) and at US programs I recommend spreading your odds by applying to a range of schools, e.g., Duke, Cornell, Michigan, Darden etc.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

davis98 wrote:

English M 29
GMAT - 740 (49 / 41)

ECs:

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval - Non Traditional [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 10:48
Expert's post
I agree with the posters above - you have a really interesting profile and I think you can do a lot with it. From an academic perspective, look - you've done everything you can possibly do. Amazing GMAT (well done!) and a strong alternative transcript. So that is what it is. From here on out, leverage the things that make you different and put together a story that makes sense! If you want to talk about the process or what that story might look like, don't hesitate to reach out!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Profile Eval - Non Traditional   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 10:48