Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 09:30
Hi Alex,

I like your posts. No fluff, and very honest.

So here goes(and apologies in advance for the shortcuts):

Age at application/matriculation: 25/26
GMAT:760 (50Q, 44V)
Ethnicity: Filipino-Chinese
Will be CFA by matriculation

Work /acad experience
2005- 2009: Top Philippine university -business degree gpa 3.44/4 (my spin: had to support fam biz, plus had some extra curriculars)

Sept.2009-jan 2010 : top philippine bank as management trainee in corporate banking

jan2010-june 2010: left for china to learn mandarin as got accepted in a top part time finance degree in a top singapore university, had to learn mandarin so i can assimilate faster and can help in career

july 2010-may 2011: part time degree in finance (gpa 3.82/4; my spin: had to jump ship early from previous work as this was an opportunity to move from a third world country to a 1st world country, salary was multiplied 10x automatically) on top of full time work in BIG multinational bank as wealth manager handling philippine and thai markets

june 2011-matriculation: right after grad from part time degree, a research house took interest in me. will be working as a metals and mining analyst in an independent research house until matriculation, basically in charge of forming investment ideas in the metals market, doing industry reviews, and analyzing implications on anything happening in mining/metals that would affect investment/business/financial decisions.

so total work experience come matriculation: 4 years, just right to get cfa charter. nice spin: "hustled" my way from developing country into an analyst career in singapore, really want success and driven. remit 67% of earnings back home to support family and also to buy real estate.

extra curriculars:
1.hs batch president --> basically means in charge of all those reunion parties; though when we get older we are expected to be more organized and donate

2. consulting head of statistics organization back in uni days--> head of team of 5, we actually got paid by corporations to do some market research, plus mentored those guys, also did some pro bono work for the university

3. starting up a deal aggregator site with a friend now, hope it makes money

4. volunteers in this migrant workers ngo in singapore, coz well..i am a migrant myself and i personally feel the hardships they feel (10% phil gdp is from remittance, we are a lot like jamaica and india i guess? do not know the specifics, sad thing really)

reason for mba: want to continue doing what i am doing (commodity analyst) but in a capacity within a bulge bracket or a hedge fund. or continue to do what i am doing (mining analyst) in a consulting firm, solving problems etc. plus the american dream of course.

target: h/s/w booth kellog columbia.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 09:33
apply 2013 matric 2014 , just for clarification.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 20:30
Schools like Kellogg, Columbia, Booth, Sloan and Tuck are stretches, but schools where you at least have enough of a chance to make it worthwhile to apply. H/S/W are likely long shots in your case -- a bit too middle-of-the-road finance-oriented of a profile for them. Schools that are sweet spots are NYU, Cornell, Yale, Ross, Duke, Darden, Haas and UCLA. Safeties are outside the top 16.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 22:07
despite the demographic advantage? i have a lot of it guys and marketing guys who get into wharton from my school
Re: Profile eval - plan to apply for mba in 2013   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 22:07