Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile eval please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile eval please [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 13:32
hi,
After working 9 years, I would like to attend MBA program at harvard or stanford. I know they are of the most selective program but i would like to try it.
my features :
- 32 years old
- portuguese and french
- graduated from a french top tier engineering school, INAPG which is related to agronomics
- worked 4.5 years in internal audit in the biggest french banking group (assignments in france and abroad, i.e. europe and south america)
- for 4.5 years, associate then investment manager in a french private equity fund dedicated to agribusiness projects
- ECAs : very few since i work (charity and sport regularly but only as a leisure)
- GMAT 750 (no GPA in french engineering schools)
what are my chances ?
thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: profile eval please [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 10:24
Expert's post
Hi philcp,

I have to start where I often do, which is: Why? Why do you want an MBA? Why from these two programs? What are your goals, short and long term? This is not meant to be an inquisition, but without those pieces of information, it is almost impossible to evaluate your candidacy or your trajectory. Please add that info and I'll be happy to help.

(I will tell you though that your interesting background, high GMAT score, and strong work experience will likely be offset by your age at HBS. We just aren't seeing people older than 27 or so getting in to Harvard unless they are military. GSB continues to show more interest in building a class from across all sectors, demos, and ages - they are MBA "alchemists" - so that might be a viable play. There are also other amazing schools that will prize your experience and think nothing of your age, but that is why I need to understand your motivation to properly advise you.)

Let me know...

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: profile eval please [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 13:54
hi Paul,
meeting and discussing with CEOs, shareholders on a regular basis made me realize that i want to be totally autonomous and responsible for my own business . i may be interested in buying out an existing company in food business or starting it from scratch.
however i feel that i need to improve some behavioral skills : self-confidence and leadership. i'm confronted with some situations that require sometimes self confidence and leadership but i'm deadly sure that when u have your own business, those skills are needed on a daily basis and must be used at a higher level. as i want to have all the tools before i start my project, i want to complete an mba. it will help me to build these skills and probably to cogitate on my future projects (and now i don't have time to think about them).
then why hbs or gsb ? because they are the most renowned, with the most influential networks. stanford is for sure my preference (west coast, focus on entrepreneurship, apparently relaxed environment).
thanks for your help
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: profile eval please [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 00:57
Expert's post
That makes sense and is the backbone of a strong story. Your are going to want to make sure to dig deep though - both on understanding these programs and also on expressing the key themes.

I think HBS is a long shot, at best, but GSB is a possibility with the right essays. I also think you should look at the Sloan Fellows program at MIT and I would not rule out Wharton based on your background and goals. Wharton values what you have and doesn't take a backseat to anyone. Plus it has an alliance program with INSEAD which may interest you or at least serve as something you can talk about in your essays to showcase fit.

We just finished helping an experienced professional like yourself secure admission to both MIT and Stanford's Sloan Fellows programs, which is in keeping with our track record for helping elite candidates - especially with seasoning - get over the top.

You should definitely email us at mba@amerasiaconsulting.com for a free consult to see how we might be able to help you going forward.

Thanks again for reaching out - pleasure offering up some advice. You've got a cool angle and I'd love to see you reach for the stars.

Best,
-PL

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton