Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval please. Thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile eval please. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 14:15
Long story short, I'd like to find out if I'm competitive for the programs I'm aiming for to know if I should hold off on applying for another year or two to get more experience.

Any advice, suggestions, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

1) 750 GMAT 41V 50Q 5.0 AWA

2) 3.1 GPA in Computer Science at UC Berkeley. Worked full time senior year in college in a lead engineering position, half time during both sophomore and junior years in a supervisory/management role.

3) Not including full time work during college, I currently have 2 years of work experience at a software company as a software engineer. During the full time work exp I had in college I had a lead role with 10 direct reports; currently I'm in a more technical-heavy position with just 3-4 reports. However, my current responsibilities do involve a good dose of project and product management.

I'm not sure which schools I can be seen as competitive, since (work exp during college notwithstanding) I'm relatively light in the work exp department and my GPA could have been better. I'm aiming to get into a top-tier school (i.e. HBS, SBS, Wharton, Booth, Sloan, etc). I've only been out of school for a couple years now, so time is on my side and I'd be willing to wait another year or two to get more work experience if it'll help, but if I have a decent shot now I'd like to take it. If those schools are definitely out of the question for me this year, what about schools like Tuck, Haas, Stern, Anderson, Darden, Tepper, Marshall, etc?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval please. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 12:04
Expert's post
Hi pingpong,

Thanks for posting. You have a strong candidacy. My primary concern is your lack of leadership experience at work. Although you had 10 direct reports while you were in college, business schools tend to focus on work experience post-graduation. Some MBA programs, particularly HBS, want to see a history of leadership and impact.

I recommend you read this case study of an engineer who was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

If you do decide to apply this year, this case study should provide insight into how you can craft your personal essays.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap