Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval pls

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile eval pls [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 20:22
Hello,

I'd appreciate some feedback on my profile.

Applying for 2012 canadian universities

Western - Ivey
Toronto - Rotman
UBC - Sauder
Mcgill

29 (in 2012) year old white male (Canadian)

GMAT - 650 5.5 AWA (48 Q, 31V) - blew the verbal section had 40s in practice....

Work experience

6 months sales experience, cold calling B2B, consulting with clients to meet their internet needs

South Korea
4 Years teaching English in Korea. Working for a publicly traded education corporation.
2 of those years as a manager. Oversaw teams of 10-14 teachers Training new teachers, holding workshops, evaluating teacher performance and holding one-on-one meetings to develop teachers and improve their abilities.

Will have one year living in Japan and teaching English there next year. Hopefully will be able to say have a basic command of Japanese as well.

Extracurricular
Played baseball on foreigner team in Korea
Volunteered teaching English to underprivileged kids who can't afford attending private academies
(don't have much in this area)

GPA 3.3 last 2 years, 3.7 last year of University (awarded Dean's honors for my final year)...3.0 GPA cumulative. Schools like Ivey and Rotman only look at last 2 years and last year of school respectively.

That's all I can think of

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile eval pls [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 11:21
You should be in range for the schools you listed, although a stronger GMAT will certainly help in your case because of your work experience (since these schools outside the top 16 like the Canadian schools are willing to cut a bit more slack to those with monster GMAT scores).

In your case, the potential concern an adcom would have is your work experience. As you may or may not know, the "teaching English in Asia" thing has a bit of a negative stigma because historically, it's been seen as a working vacation, a casual job, and not something that is equivalent to a corporate/office job. Traditionally, it's been the default job of choice for folks who didn't know what they wanted to do, traveled and landed in Asia teaching English. The industry may have professionalized, but perceptions take a long time to change, and just keep in mind that you may not be able to change someone's mind with just a few essays.

What you need to do is to do the best you can conveying the skills you learned in your job could translate into a corporate environment, and hope that the adcom who happens to be evaluating your file has an open enough mind to take you at your word (as opposed to defaulting to his/her negative perceptions of the job). It helps that you're not a teacher anymore but a manager, but just know that it's still an uphill climb.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile eval pls [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 18:08
thanks, and that negative stigma is what I was afraid of.
Re: Profile eval pls   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2011, 18:08