Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval Pls! Age@Matriculation-33; Firm 2yr MBA; 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval Pls! Age@Matriculation-33; Firm 2yr MBA; 740 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 15:57
Basic demographic info:

nationality : India

Educational Background:

undergrad major : Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Electronics)
GPA : 67% (I'm not making the coversion, the topper scored 87%)
GMAT score : Attempt 1 - 660(Q46,V35,AWA5.5) ; Attempt 2 - 740(Q49,V42,AWA6.0)

During Grad:
- Not an exceptional academic record in college (the topper scored 87%).
- Active in dramatics club, NSS (National Service Scheme),
- I was the department association coordinator - The association is run by the students for the students, invites industry experts for speeches, conducts programs to promote awareness about further education and job opportunities. Basically meets every week and run by the 4th year students.
- Was the "blood cell" secretary for the college. Any requests for blood donation from the local hospitals were handled by me.
- Was one of the 3 placement coordinators for the EEE department. Part of the job was to visit companies and invite them for campus interviews.
- "Elected" Vice Head Boy of the high school in the pre-final high school yr (11th grade)

Work experience:

9 yrs as of now (will be 10 yrs by the time I matriculate) in Information Technology/IT services (Outsourced Model) - 4 Yrs in India, 5 Yrs in USA

Current role -

I'm working as an IT consultant for mortgage origination and servicing products at a large bank, as a vendor. My parent company in the US, licenses these products to large/medium financial institutions and lately has ventured into providing IT services (offshore-based) for those products. I've been with the current company for 6 years now and have grown steadily along with the company since it established its Indian arm 6 and half years ago. In essence, I'm in the IT division of a "financial services technology solutions" firm and would like to move to a leadership role overseeing product strategy and business development, in a "financial services technology solutions" company. I believe that an MBA will help me learn and acquire the knowledge/skills to make this transition.

I was the first resource recruited for this team 6 years ago; it is now 60 strong and all this while the company grew from 200 to 2000. I helped lead the effort to recruit, train, establish smaller teams, takeover from an external vendor in 6 months flat, and have been growing with the company ever since. Played multiple roles - programmer, tech lead, business analyst (design, implement and train at 2 banks), lended PMO support (I hold a PMP), etc.

Promotions - Have been in the current organization for 6 yrs now. Promoted 4 times, with a consistent performance rating (Actually my promotion timeline graph looks almost like a straight line at 45 degrees)

Extracurriculars:

Sports
- Was a regular member of the table tennis weekly round robin tourney - in the small city that I used to stay
- Moved to a bigger city and now part of the city's major cricket club. I'm one of the opening bowlers (similar to an "ace" "power pitcher" in baseball)

Social Activities - Not much...
- Have been active with the "Habitat for Humanity" every spring to participate in repairing houses (organized by the local church)

Schools:

Haven't considered any schools yet because I haven't done my "school-fit" research yet. However I have Tuck, Booth, LBS and Kellog in mind right now.

Recommendations:

- A VP (business partner) to whom I reported (indirectly) for more than year (2 yrs ago) was very appreciative about my work. I can talk to him personally to provide a striong reco.
- My current supervisor is an AVP who is a little lethargic but can provide a strong reco too. However I'm not so sure how to approach him.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval Pls! Age@Matriculation-33; Firm 2yr MBA; 740 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 09:36
Expert's post
Hi KiVu,

Are you looking for profile recommendations or for recommended business school programs?

For your application, your largest challenge will be differentiating yourself from a competitive candidate pool. I recommend you read this case study of an Indian engineer who was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT. It should provide some insight into ways you can approach your application.

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap