Basic demographic info:
age : 32
gender : M
nationality : India
undergrad major : Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Electronics)
GPA : 67% (I'm not making the coversion, the topper scored 87%)
GMAT score : Attempt 1 - 660(Q46,V35,AWA5.5) ; Attempt 2 - 740(Q49,V42,AWA6.0)
- Not an exceptional academic record in college (the topper scored 87%).
- Active in dramatics club, NSS (National Service Scheme),
- I was the department association coordinator - The association is run by the students for the students, invites industry experts for speeches, conducts programs to promote awareness about further education and job opportunities. Basically meets every week and run by the 4th year students.
- Was the "blood cell" secretary for the college. Any requests for blood donation from the local hospitals were handled by me.
- Was one of the 3 placement coordinators for the EEE department. Part of the job was to visit companies and invite them for campus interviews.
- "Elected" Vice Head Boy of the high school in the pre-final high school yr (11th grade)
9 yrs as of now (will be 10 yrs by the time I matriculate) in Information Technology/IT services (Outsourced Model) - 4 Yrs in India, 5 Yrs in USA
Current role -
I'm working as an IT consultant for mortgage origination and servicing products at a large bank, as a vendor. My parent company in the US, licenses these products to large/medium financial institutions and lately has ventured into providing IT services (offshore-based) for those products. I've been with the current company for 6 years now and have grown steadily along with the company since it established its Indian arm 6 and half years ago. In essence, I'm in the IT division of a "financial services technology solutions" firm and would like to move to a leadership role overseeing product strategy and business development, in a "financial services technology solutions" company. I believe that an MBA will help me learn and acquire the knowledge/skills to make this transition.
I was the first resource recruited for this team 6 years ago; it is now 60 strong and all this while the company grew from 200 to 2000. I helped lead the effort to recruit, train, establish smaller teams, takeover from an external vendor in 6 months flat, and have been growing with the company ever since. Played multiple roles - programmer, tech lead, business analyst (design, implement and train at 2 banks), lended PMO support (I hold a PMP), etc.
Promotions - Have been in the current organization for 6 yrs now. Promoted 4 times, with a consistent performance rating (Actually my promotion timeline graph looks almost like a straight line at 45 degrees)
- Was a regular member of the table tennis weekly round robin tourney - in the small city that I used to stay
- Moved to a bigger city and now part of the city's major cricket club. I'm one of the opening bowlers (similar to an "ace" "power pitcher" in baseball)
Social Activities - Not much...
- Have been active with the "Habitat for Humanity" every spring to participate in repairing houses (organized by the local church)
Haven't considered any schools yet because I haven't done my "school-fit" research yet. However I have Tuck, Booth, LBS and Kellog in mind right now.
- A VP (business partner) to whom I reported (indirectly) for more than year (2 yrs ago) was very appreciative about my work. I can talk to him personally to provide a striong reco.
- My current supervisor is an AVP who is a little lethargic but can provide a strong reco too. However I'm not so sure how to approach him.