Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: IESE '19 (II)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval Req|Indian M working in HSBC|finance sectr|GMAT 690 [#permalink]
Greetings ,

Thank you for sending over your information. After reviewing the information you sent over, I believe further discussing your MBA strategy is definately going to be helpful given the state of your GMAT, GPA, at this point. It’s not too bad and its not too good . However, I do want to provide some quick guidance to help set you along the right path.

Since you graduated from such reputed college and have had an opportunity to gain significant work experience, getting an MBA at this point is going to be very beneficial for you. Yes you can get a degree at these well known institution you mentioned with ISB being the best among those .
A better strategy for you is to focus on getting your foot in the door at an MBA college that is going to give you a great overall experience. Your GMAT score is good and satisfactory however just to play safe it needs to be improved by max to max 30-40 points, and I would recommend a tutor or picking up prep materials from a Manhattan or Veritas Prep. Your GPA is going to a major obstacle that will red flag you for many programs, and you should not explain that your low grades came from having no interest in the area you were studying. To counter this low GPA you need to score very high on your GMAT quant (which in your case is very satisfactory , you need work on verbal and leverage that to improve your prospects ) .

Hope this advice helps. Again I think it is apt for you to be considering an MBA and highly recommend that you focus on it. When you strengthen your profile and feel ready to apply again definitely reach out on gmat club or me .

Regards,

vharsh wrote:
Hi,

GMAT : 690 (Quant 50, VA 32, IR 7, AWA 4.5). I am looking for 2016/17 admissions

Graduation : done my Bachelors in Technology in Computer Science in Engineering from NIT Nagpur (Indian Govt. top 25 engg college in India.Right after IITs) with a 6.46/10 GPA (GPA remains low since I was not very interested in CSE but had grown interest in Finance towards the end of my Bachelors.)

I am currently working in an Sapient Global markets (Financial services company) for 33 months as a Business analyst.I work in a project where we have created a Reporting tool used by our clients(Many US and UK Investment banks) for reporting Over-The-Counter(OTC) trades to CFTC(Like SEC but for OTC products).We also handle reporting to CME , ICE and some other European and Australian regulations.My current role is to create Functional specs, Data dictionaries, understanding client requirements and advising them in various aspects, give client demos and presentations about the business side of projects, helping software developers translating business requirements to relevant codes etc.

In my previous role in this project , I worked as a technical-cum-business support staff to our clients. This included daily interaction with our clients and helping them in their business or technical BAUs/queries/incidents. It also included giving client demos/presentations/handling high stake client calls with our director/VPs and working in high intensity time bound situations.

But I have recently resigned from the company and I will be joining HSBC as an Assisstant Manager - Financial Operations as they were providing me a better opportunity.

I have a few research paper ideas in mind and would like to publish a few finance research papers in leading Indian journals.

Given my interest in Finance , I want to an MBA/Masters in finance from a school preferentially in South east Asia which has good finance program.
My preferred schools are : NUS , NTU , ISB , SMU ,Some good schools in HK.

I am willing to wait for a year or 2 for my MBA admit as I hope to have a good working experience with HSBC until that.

Also, I have worked with an NGO in New Delhi teaching and helping many orphan/single parent boys. I was the local manager/leader of a group handing various social service events all throughout Delhi. I worked there for almost 2 months (weekends) but had to leave due to office work on weekends.

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest If I need to hone a few skills or do something else to strengthen it ?

Thanks and Regards,
Vineet
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval Req|Indian M working in HSBC|finance sectr|GMAT 690 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi vharsh,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you follow my posts, you will see that I hesitate to lump everyone together based on what they perceive to be the important things.

I will PM you so that we can discuss your profile and candidacy in further detail.

Best,
Shawn and the Stratus Prep Team
GMAT Club Bot