Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile eval request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 35

Profile eval request [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 23:30
Hi,

Would appreciate if you could evaluate my chances for i) entry to H/S/W, and ii) full scholarship at a top 20. I'm a Pakistani professional; my profile is as follows:

1) 2 years work experience in the marketing function of Pakistan's top FMCG. If I apply this year, by matriculation I'll have 3 years of WE. My job includes planning (i.e. identifying growth opportunities in category on the 5 year horizon), campaign management (liaising with creative, media planning, activation, digital agencies) and innovation management (liaising with supply chain, R&D).
2) 770
3) Lahore University of Management Sciences (Pakistan’s best business university) I graduated top of the class with a GPA of 3.9. I also attended a student exchange program for a year.
4) President of international student club at university. Also won multiple national student competitions.
5) None
6) HBS, S, W. (if I can get a full-ride at a top 20, would definitely be fantastic)
7) R1, R2
8) Brand Management in CPG
Also, i'd like to hear your view on whether I should apply this year or gain further work experience (given that I don’t see any fundamentally different learning coming my way in the next year and a half at work- also I’ve read that applicants with good GPA/GMATs should apply earlier, as the more experienced you get, the lesser grades tend to matter.)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval request [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your profile. It sounds like you have strong work experience and a great academic profile (GPA/GMAT). Your lack of post-college ECs/community work will be a disadvantage when applying to a top ten program though.

I'd say you have a better shot at Wharton over H/S, as I don't see any extraordinary examples of leadership that scream Harvard/Stanford profile. And, like I said, the lack of extracurriculars and community work will present a challenge - but it's one I think you can overcome. I'd say you'd probably have a good shot at least a partial merit scholarship from a program like Michigan.

All this said, I do think you could benefit from another year of work experience. Can you take on more responsibility at work? Are you eligible for promotion? Also, in the extra year, you could take on community and extracurricular leadership activities that could go a long way to bolster your profile/chances. But, if you really think you won't gain anything from another year on the job, then I think you do have a shot at a top 20 program with your current profile. You can always apply this year and if you don't get in, you can pick up the community/leadership activities, increase your professional leadership scope, and reapply in 2014.

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download [url=http:// http://info.mbamission.com/MBA-Personal-Statement-Guide/]mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide[/url]

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile eval request [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 23:29
Thanks Mili!

Regarding the concerns you raised, I had significant ECs at under-grad level- where I turned around a student club into one of the best in the university. But you would say ECs are also needed post graduation? And community work is one aspect I definitely need to work on.

Also, would you say Bschools would club my profile with applicants from India and consider me as an applicant from the South Asian pool? I ask because in that case, the pool becomes much more competitive- since Indian candidates have very competitive scores/WE. On the contrary, if Pakistan were a separate sub-set, my chances of getting in would improve. Would really appreciate if you could shed some light there.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile eval request [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
That's great that you have college ECs -but yes, post-grad ECs are also important (they want to see that you maintain your interests, push yourself in different areas, are well-rounded, etc.).

As for India vs. Pakistan -- that's a great question that I unfortunately don't have the answer to. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly, because the most competitive category is really "Indian Male Engineer" and since you are neither Indian nor have a tech/engineering background, you should be in a slightly less competitive pool.

Hope that helps!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download [url=http:// http://info.mbamission.com/MBA-Personal-Statement-Guide/]mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide[/url]

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter