Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

deleted

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

deleted [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 20:08
deleted

Last edited by AgadorShummy on 14 Dec 2012, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Eval Request: 690 GMAT, 2.8 GPA [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 00:21
Hi AgadorShummy,

Nice to see a fellow Wally on the boards. I just finished the application process myself so take my advice as coming from that perspective.

Your GPA is a bit on the low side for Top 15 programs but there are definitely a couple of things you can do to mitigate that. Your GMAT is already pretty good, but if you can get it up another 20-30 points (or even just past the 700 mark), it would go a long way towards compensating for a low GPA. Also, if your grades for Quant focused classes at Wabash were on the low side, you could take (and ace) a couple of math classes at a local school to build an "alternate transcript". Don't get too disheartened by your GPA though - during my recent application process and interviews, I got the feeling that adcoms have a decent amount of respect for Wabash.

Your work experience is pretty solid and post-collegiate ECs also seem okay, but the details of both will matter for your essays. And entrepreneurial activities are most of the time looked upon highly.

Overall I think you would be competitive for schools ranked 10-15, especially if you up your GMAT by a little bit. These would include UNC, Cornell and Duke. Also look into Michigan Ross - you didn't mention this in your post but it would seem like a good fit for you. Kelly would be slightly easier to get into then these but I wouldn't call it a safety as it still is a pretty good school. Kellogg might be a stretch but not a crazy one. I would also recommend you look into Tuck - it is a really great program for getting into management consulting.

This is just my $0.02. Feel free to let me know if I can help out in any other way.
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval Request: 690 GMAT, 2.8 GPA [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 04:43
I think the earlier advice was pretty accurate, and that you'd be competitive in one of the 10 - 20 ranked schools. My advice is a little different, however, in that if you want to hit one of your stretch schools, I think a focus on your career progression and career focus will be paramount. Your GPA won't help (sorry, just being honest). If you got that GPA from MIT or Caltech doing smthg super quant heavy and difficult (like Math or Engg or Physics), then you'd get a pass. The additional issue with your grades is that it wasn't in a heavy quant/analytical area, and neither is your work experience. You don't have to be an engineer to be admitted, but there should be evidence of a comfort level with numbers. Getting some extra coursework under your belt as a way to prove you can do the work would prbly be a good investment.

To me, even if you get your GMAT up by 30 points or so, it won't make a "material" impact into a top 5 program (e.g., Kellogg). Your score is already within the acceptable range, and it's more your work experience and GPA that are the red flags.

With that said, it's great you're at Groupon. There are probably many great essay ideas you have from there. And as mentioned in the beginning, you're a strong candidate at a 10 - 20 school. IMO, Ross is prbly a stretch, but def worth considering.

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: Profile Eval Request: 690 GMAT, 2.8 GPA   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 04:43