Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - Retake GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - Austin (McCombs) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Profile Eval - Retake GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 07:00
s, your help is much appreciated!

Last edited by texasexpat on 07 Nov 2011, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - Retake GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 06:21
Expert's post
texasexpat wrote:
Hello,
I'm hoping you might be able to assist with a profile evaluation and some thoughts:

Work Experience: Two years audit at a Big 4. My current role (going into my third year), is at a hedge fund, doing sr acct./controller level work, involved with all aspects of financial reporting, investor reporting, compliance, operations, etc. Total 5 yrs experience, active CPA license.

GMAT: 710 (45Q 41V)

College info:
Claremont McKenna College, 3.4 GPA, Politics/Economics, 2004.
University of Southern California, MAcc, 3.4 GPA, 2006.

Extracurricular:
Member and volunteer coach of local non-profit running club, training beginners and others looking to begin a fitness lifestyle/train for a goal race.

Schools:
Stretches: Columbia, NYU, Booth, Kellogg

Targets: UCLA, Darden, Duke, UT-Austin (McCombs) is my very first choice as I am currently a Texas resident and would like to stay here post-graduation.

Post MBA goals: Consulting/IB/Energy Finance

I wanted to see what you thought of my current chances given my profile and, specifically, my GMAT score. I want to apply in R1 if possible (unless you might think R2 is better or a negligible difference given my credentials). I'm satisfied with my verbal/overall score for the most part, but am concerned about the 72% Quantitative (a bit short of the 80 threshold). I'd like to enter banking/consulting after graduation. Will my CPA license, Masters in Accounting and WE help alleviate some of the quant?

Should I focus and retake in a month or apply my energy towards writing good essays?

Please let me know your thoughts, your help is much appreciated!

The 710 is a fine score, but if you think you can boost it easily, it usually pays to take the test twice. And yes, the top programs do like to see above the 80th percentile for each section (they certainly compromise on that at times when they have a unique candidate though). Since you don't seem incredibly "unique" yet from this profile description, I would recommend you go ahead and take the test again. In terms of writing good essays, if you work hard with a good consultant (shameless plug, I know!), then each application shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to complete.
I do recommend applying to your top choices in the first round.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog