Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval + School selection [#permalink]
Hey there,

You're very welcome! I'm glad you found my feedback helpful. You have your hands full with the GMAT retake and that should absolutely be your first focus. Have you set a date?

Also, I'm sure with your experiences you can probably pull on some great recommenders. However, given your rather unconventional (but awesome!) professional experiences, they are going to have to provide context. That will be key for the adcom to understand what you're all about and why it matters. That last part is key. Recommender strategy is always key but in your case it's a bit more important!

From a goals perspective, they make perfect sense. When it comes down to making them stick, however, it'll come down to the perfect balance of specificity and uniqueness. Easy, right? :)

As for schools, if your goal is to get into consulting, then literally any top 20 program will do. You're right, some have better brand awareness abroad but what it will come down to is two things. Firstly, what schools best fits you? Your learning style, personality, needs, etc. Secondly, where will YOU have the best chances of landing a top consulting placement. Effectively, where will you be relatively top quartile WITHIN your program. Let's talk schools once you retake the GMAT - honestly, that should be your focus. We can work through the schools after we have your score in hand.

However, in the meantime, what I would suggest is you visit our page on [How to Choose Programs]. It's a pretty good list of the things to consider when choosing MBA programs. Go through it, have a think, reflect. Come up with your list of must haves, nice to haves, and the rest. Once you have the GMAT score in hand and a good handle of what's important to you, we can take it from there!

As for applying this year, don't. You have a pretty strong profile and have a shot at some great programs. Don't hack up your strategy and push things forward that don't need to be. Apply next year. Not only will your chances be better, but you'll be in a better spot to understand your application strategy and how to handle it.

When you're ready to start the process, sign up to chat with us. I know you mentioned you'd need a hand with your essays, but every partnership with our clients starts with our free consultation. It's a great way for you to learn more about us and for us to do the same about you! Then we can figure out the path forward together.

Good luck on the GMATs and let us know how they go!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey

Haven't registered yet but will do so soon and book a date for mid July.

Thanks for the wonderful insight into the recommendations. Completely agree with your perspective.

I will definitely get in touch with you guys at criticalsquare post my gmat attempt.

Thanks once again for taking out time and explaining things in such detail.

Regards
Send PM
It's my pleasure - glad you found it helpful! Good luck with the GMATs - we're rooting for you. We think you're going to absolutely knock them out of the park :)

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
It's my pleasure - glad you found it helpful! Good luck with the GMATs - we're rooting for you. We think you're going to absolutely knock them out of the park :)

Bhavik

Hey Bhavik,

So I finally gave my GMAT again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to improve on my score. Wondering what options I have now. Help!!
Send PM
Hey there - sorry the retake didn't go the way you were hoping for! Your last post was in June so let me ask you this - what are you plans? Are you shooting for R2?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes I'm shooting for R2 now. I'm certain in my head that I would like to go for my MBA next year. So definitely targeting R2 applications. The following is the list of schools that I'm looking to apply to.

Target schools: Insead, Emory, Duke, Yale, Ross, Olin, Cornell, Boston University and McCombs

Need advice to narrow down the list. Insead is my dream school, I know they like/want international work experience but I think I can talk about doing my undergrad abroad plus my reasons for moving back. In addition I think that the fact that they have so many essays will work in my favor in explain different facets of myself.

Anxiously looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Send PM
Hey there,

That's a really diverse school list so I like that. If you're passionate about INSEAD, go for it. But it'll be a stretch. Other schools such as Ross, Duke, etc. with a 710 and being an Indian male will be stretches too. You definitely have some components that help you stand out but let's face it, stats trump most things. Emory, Cornell, McCombs, Olin, and BU are a much better set of diverse schools. You keep things a bit aggressive with Emory, Cornell, and McCombs, and play a bit safer with BU and Olin.

You also don't have a ton of time and if you're interested in consulting as you mentioned, brand is everything. I would say pick 1 or 2 from the Duke/Ross/INSEAD group, 2 from the Emory/Cornell/McCombs, and 1 or 2 from the Olin/BU pool.

Good luck!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for the response. Will I be right in assuming that the main difficulty with applying to some of the better ranked schools (Insead,Yale,Ross,Duke,etc) for me will be my low gmat of 710?

I'm seriously contemplating retaking it soon and really giving it all. I know it will be difficult given that I need to simultaneously work on my essays but I think I can take some time off work (maybe 10-14 days) and really sort all this out.

I know these schools will be difficult to get into regardless but will an improvement in my score by 30-40 points make them a lot more achievable? Am I right in taking time out to do that GMAT or should I just concentrate on my essays?

Thanks
Send PM
Hey there - you could do this. Retake the GMAT, pick 2 - 3 schools for R2 and go aggressive. If it doesn't work out, apply in a more balanced way next year. But that could be a good way to still give it a go this year and try for some great programs. But it allows you to more realistically balance apps + GMAT. Thoughts?

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Bhavik,

I see your point. But at some level I'm really keen on going for my MBA next year. Just thought of waiting an extra year and going in 2016 sounds way too depressing to even consider. Both personally and professionally next year would be the exact time for me to head out for an MBA.

So this is what I'll do- Take 2-3 weeks off from work (I think I need to somehow) and work on my GMAT during the day and my application essays at night. Will register to take the GMAT around the 20th. Plan on applying to 5-6 schools, hopefully doing essays will become easier after the first one.

School List: Insead, Duke/Yale, Emory, Cornell/McCombs, Boston University and Olin

Just realized that this is almost the exact same list that you had provided.

How does this sound?
Send PM
Applying to 5/6 programs is definitely doable - but it'll be busy!
GMAT Club Bot