Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - White Male, Corp Fin

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval - White Male, Corp Fin [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:21
1) 2 yrs in corp finance leadership dev program in CPG company (on brand management team). plan either 2 years more here or move to corp strategy if i can get a good role.

2) 700-730 practice gmat (5+ taken)

3) College info: Midwest Private Liberal Arts (top 50 Lib Arts, but unknown outside of midwest), 3.65 GPA, Economics & Finance

4) Great college extra curricular, weak post-college but plan to improve over next 2 years

6) M7 - not sure what I want to do post-MBA yet and want to open recruiting doors

7) For 2015 start

8) Post MBA - Either transfer to the operational function of a CPG company (I work on brand mangement team now), do consulting for a few years and continue to evaluate what I want to do long term, get into VC (my favorite but longshot, or do Corp Strategy

Other than getting better extra-curricular involvement, what would help me set myself up for acceptance best? How do you view the CPG industry and FLDP roles? People who leave here get into M7 every year but the majority aren't white males like myself.....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - White Male, Corp Fin [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 18:11
Expert's post
goinggolfing wrote:
1) 2 yrs in corp finance leadership dev program in CPG company (on brand management team). plan either 2 years more here or move to corp strategy if i can get a good role.

2) 700-730 practice gmat (5+ taken)

3) College info: Midwest Private Liberal Arts (top 50 Lib Arts, but unknown outside of midwest), 3.65 GPA, Economics & Finance

4) Great college extra curricular, weak post-college but plan to improve over next 2 years

6) M7 - not sure what I want to do post-MBA yet and want to open recruiting doors

7) For 2015 start

8) Post MBA - Either transfer to the operational function of a CPG company (I work on brand mangement team now), do consulting for a few years and continue to evaluate what I want to do long term, get into VC (my favorite but longshot, or do Corp Strategy

Other than getting better extra-curricular involvement, what would help me set myself up for acceptance best? How do you view the CPG industry and FLDP roles? People who leave here get into M7 every year but the majority aren't white males like myself.....

Here you go:

1. Being able to show leadership and impact on and off the job.
2 Adding an international dimension.
3. A GMAT at the higher end of your cited range.
CPG and FLDP are both fine. You can learn a lot there.

You might be interested in my book, MBA Admission for Smarties. It addresses some of the questions that you haven't asked above and some that you probably are asking but not here.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - White Male, Corp Fin [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 08:39
Thanks for the advice - when you say add an international dimension do you mean work in a foreign country or work on a business with international exposure?

Just took the GMAT and scored a 710 (Q45/V41) does this change anything? I'm only at 68% of quant so I'm a little worried that will dectract from my profile. I could retake and get a 730 but I doubt I'd get a higher Q score, probably could improve V by a few points.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Eval - White Male, Corp Fin [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 20:49
Expert's post
goinggolfing wrote:
Thanks for the advice - when you say add an international dimension do you mean work in a foreign country or work on a business with international exposure?

Just took the GMAT and scored a 710 (Q45/V41) does this change anything? I'm only at 68% of quant so I'm a little worried that will dectract from my profile. I could retake and get a 730 but I doubt I'd get a higher Q score, probably could improve V by a few points.

Your work is quantitative and your coursework was also quantitative and you had a high GPA. So you provide evidence you can do the math. However, I can't guarantee you that a school wouldn't be less than thrilled with your quant score that it won't influence the outcome, especially at the most competitive programs. Given the time you have until you apply, it makes more sense to prepare again, focus on the quant, and try to improve that score. Obviously, if you feel it is impossible to improve it, then don't bother. But sometimes a different study approach or a tutor can make a difference. And of course, doing lots of problems.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog