Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval - white male, Corp fin

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval - white male, Corp fin [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:32
I've be working for 2 yrs in corp finance leadership dev program in CPG company (on brand management team). Plan either 2 years more here or move to corp strategy if i can get a good role somewhere else. Another opportunity would be to work in same FLDP program in a manufacturing plant as a finance/operations assitant manager, any experience on how that would be viewed?

My end goal is still somewhat undetermined, I know I don't want to work in Corp Fin long term and will probably have a tough time getting into high finance (HF, PE) even with a great B-school since I have no IB experience. VC is extremely attractive but again is a longshot with my background so if I had to write an essay today I would go for consulting or corp strat.

700-730 practice gmat (5+ taken), Q45/V45

College info: Midwest Private Liberal Arts (top 50 Lib Arts, but unknown outside of midwest), 3.65 GPA, Economics & Finance

Great college extra curricular, weak post-college but plan to improve over next 2 years

Targeting M7 - not sure what I want to do post-MBA yet and want to open recruiting doors

Other than getting better extra-curricular involvement, what would help me set myself up for acceptance best? How do you view the CPG industry and FLDP roles? People who leave here get into M7 every year but the majority aren't white males like myself.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - white male, Corp fin [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 05:40
Expert's post
First of all, I would define a holistic strategy for the next two-three years. I absolutely love when people plan early for their b-school path, it gives you time to ensure that each piece of the puzzle is in place! If I were you, I would do the following:
1- Probably stay in the CPG job and try to create leadership opportunities, innovate new projects, do something that you can point to as outstanding in the job. A move of jobs would be fine, but still focus on what you could do in that role to add-value. Also, be strategic in building two work relationships that could write you an outstanding recommendation. Build these relationships during this time so that these people know you well and have a bond with you, be sure they know that which makes you outstanding. The recommendations are a critical part of an application and you have the lead-time to cultivate them.
2- Dig in on two extra-curriculars in a big way. Don't just be a volunteer, be a leader and an initiator. Create something. Do something quantifiable. Think to yourself, how can I do something for the better good that at the same time is really unique or differentiates me.
3- Simultaneous to (2) above, study and maximize the GMAT score. Your grades are fine, but you have the opportunity to put in some study time and get a great GMAT score. It is a test you can master with practice, and you show capacity already with your practice tests.
4- Don't discount HF or VC or IB post-MBA. People make this move every year out of business school; business school is a pathway to these kinds of transitions. But, do decide earlier rather than what you want as a career path post-MBA, this will help you decide if you do want to attempt a new work experience in these next few years.
5- The writing of the application will also be critical, but you have some time prior to needing to focus on that aspect. Focus on 1-4 above at this point.

Best of luck on your journey!

Courtney Jane
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval - white male, Corp fin [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 08:37
Thanks for the advice - I'm definitely going to map out a plan for my next few years.

Just took the GMAT and scored a 710 (Q45/V41) does this change anything? I'm only at 68% of quant so I'm a little worried that will dectract from my profile. I could retake and get a 730 but I doubt I'd get a higher Q score, probably could improve V by a few points.