Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval: Will my work experience help or hurt?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Eval: Will my work experience help or hurt? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 07:55
Hi there,

I was wondering if you might be able to give me feedback / guidance on my profile. Also, I wanted to get your take on my experience, which I feel is unique to b-school applicants but am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Finally, any schools that you may think I should focus more heavily on, or any I've missed, would be super helpful (I am not applying until next year).

Goal: Renewable Energy is my passion. Am interested in Renewable Energy marketing and entrepreneurship.

Age at matriculation: 24 (yes, I am a young applicant = another hurdle)

GMAT: 650 (V44, Q 35, AWA 6) - another hurdle....

GPA: 3.82 / 4.0 (overall and identical GPA in major) at American University, in Washington D.C. Major: Environmental Policy

Work Experience: 3 years at matriculation. Experience consists of 2 years in an exclusive (25 participants accepted nationwide), managerial (fast-track manager program), developmental (various trainings like 7 Habits throughout the 2 years) leadership program in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Headquarters in Washington, D.C. There, I worked directly for two Presidential Appointees, also worked with small businesses and communities in the Smart Growth arena, and also worked as the energy and environment Fellow for a U.S. Senator (worked directly with the Senator and his senior staff).

Extra curricular activities:
In college - Philanthropy chairman for Delta Tau Delta Fraternity - helped raise $1600 for Make a Wish Foundation, as well as landscaping events at a needy elementary through the Adopt a School Program. I also was a Freshman Service Experience leader, where I led a group of 20 incoming freshman to revitalize an inner-city park in Southeast D.C.
At work: Mentor to elementary students through a non-profit organization.

Schools I am looking into (and plan to apply R1)
Reach schools - Chicago Booth, Cornell Johnson, NYU Stern, Michigan Ross
In reach schools - Boston Univ, Ohio St Fisher, UMD Smith
Safe Schools - George Washington, Babson Olin, Case Western Weatherhead

Thanks so much!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Will my work experience help or hurt? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 19:03
Your reach schools are definitely that, a reach, given your stats. Also, Michigan Ross does value experience, so your age/level of experience is another hindrance there. The other schools you've targeted are appropriate.

Given your goal of working in renewable energy - marketing and entrepreneurship - you might want to explore UNC Kenan-Flagler, UC San Diego Rady School of Management, and the University of Colorado Leeds School of Business.

Robbie Walker
Accepted.com
310-815-9553

Subscribe to our Blog
Join Us on Facebook
Follow Accepted on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Eval: Will my work experience help or hurt? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 06:17
Thanks for the reply. I really, though, wanted to see if you have any insight as to how my Federal experience may play in the eyes of b school admissions. Is my experience unique compared to the type of experience of other candidates they are likely to look at? Does that help me or is Federal experience looked down on?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Eval: Will my work experience help or hurt? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:12
rossmoss87 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I really, though, wanted to see if you have any insight as to how my Federal experience may play in the eyes of b school admissions. Is my experience unique compared to the type of experience of other candidates they are likely to look at? Does that help me or is Federal experience looked down on?

Thanks

Your experience is unusual, and could be a plus in adding a different dimension to academic work. The challenge will be for you to show clear goals and how and why an MBA, on top of your government work, is necessary to achieve them.

Robbie Walker
Accepted.com
310-815-9553

Subscribe to our Blog
Join Us on Facebook
Follow Accepted on Twitter