Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 09:27
Hey Guys,

I am a 29 yr old Electrical Engineer. I am originally from india but a permanent resident in US now. I am planning on going for my MBA and needed some help in school selection. Due to family constraints I am looking for schools in the NE region. My profile is below:

BS in Electronics from an average school in India ( GPA 3.2)
MS from an average university in US (GPA 3.9)
Work experience of 5 years at Intel, startup company, 3M and Philips. Been working in Manufacturing, Medical Devices, Semiconductor industry.
Extra curricular mostly in college with organizing different events, also started a non profit fund, voluntary services at work.
GMAT : 710

I am looking at full time programs at HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck maybe Cornell/ Booth/ Kellogg( if i get into Booth/ kellogg i can move). Also looked at some part time or emba options at booth, kellogg.

I will be applying for 2012 fall...

Any suggestions?? I am not sure if I have the background or the score to get into a top tier school for a full time program..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 05:45
Your GPA and GMAT are actually pretty good. In order to be more competitive you will need to create a very strong application with clear short and long term goals, strong LORs from individuals who can speak in detail about your accomplishments, and a clear understanding as to why an MBA is a good idea. I would also recommend that you apply in round 1 or 2 to further increase your chances of getting in. Be sure to have someone read over your essays and practice interviewing with you.

Even if your school selections are based on geography, you need to find a link between your goals and the schools strengths in order to create a compelling argument as to why that particular program is a good fit for you. Be sure that each set of essays is tailored to a specific program. Admissions committees can usually tell when an applicant has used one set of essays for multiple applications. The decision between part-time, EMBA, and full-time depends upon your ability to go without an income for two years, your employer's willingness to sponsor your MBA and/or your desire to complete your program within two years.

Best of luck!

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.