Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Bell the GMAT!!!
Affiliations: Aidha
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 22:02
Hi Team,

Need your guidance. First a score of 680 (Q 46, V 37, AWA 6) and then one month later got a score of 620 (Q 49, V27). I retook the exam because I wanted to get a higher score on Quants and was targeting overall score of 720+. Unfortunately, during my retake, I did badly in Verbal (even though I felt I was doing well and my preparation and mock tests reflected a score of 40+).

My profile: Female, Indian, Already have an Indian MBA (but have good reasons to pursue global MBA), worked for 4.5 years in Banking in India, Right now am working for a micro business school in Singapore.
Target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Wharton (Finance and Entrepreneurship focused schools)

Now my questions are:

1. Should I retake? - unlike my case, typically scores go up in retakes. Even though the highest score of two takes has not changed, how this drop will be perceived by schools?
2. At current scores, how does my application look like for my target schools?

Awaiting your response.
_________________

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 14:49
Expert's post
GMATmission wrote:
Hi Team,

Need your guidance. First a score of 680 (Q 46, V 37, AWA 6) and then one month later got a score of 620 (Q 49, V27). I retook the exam because I wanted to get a higher score on Quants and was targeting overall score of 720+. Unfortunately, during my retake, I did badly in Verbal (even though I felt I was doing well and my preparation and mock tests reflected a score of 40+).

My profile: Female, Indian, Already have an Indian MBA (but have good reasons to pursue global MBA), worked for 4.5 years in Banking in India, Right now am working for a micro business school in Singapore.
Target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Wharton (Finance and Entrepreneurship focused schools)

Now my questions are:

1. Should I retake? - unlike my case, typically scores go up in retakes. Even though the highest score of two takes has not changed, how this drop will be perceived by schools?
2. At current scores, how does my application look like for my target schools?

Awaiting your response.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult retest. The good news is that you revealed a higher Quant ability. Some schools (in particular, I believe INSEAD) will combine your highest scores from different exams, so you may wish to contact the admissions offices of your target programs to ask if this is possible. However, when it comes time for finance recruiting, you are almost certainly going to have to furnish recruiters with your highest GMAT score, so it makes sense to retake the exam in any case to pull it up to over 700.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Bell the GMAT!!!
Affiliations: Aidha
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 20:33
jenniferbloom wrote:
GMATmission wrote:
Hi Team,

Need your guidance. First a score of 680 (Q 46, V 37, AWA 6) and then one month later got a score of 620 (Q 49, V27). I retook the exam because I wanted to get a higher score on Quants and was targeting overall score of 720+. Unfortunately, during my retake, I did badly in Verbal (even though I felt I was doing well and my preparation and mock tests reflected a score of 40+).

My profile: Female, Indian, Already have an Indian MBA (but have good reasons to pursue global MBA), worked for 4.5 years in Banking in India, Right now am working for a micro business school in Singapore.
Target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Wharton (Finance and Entrepreneurship focused schools)

Now my questions are:

1. Should I retake? - unlike my case, typically scores go up in retakes. Even though the highest score of two takes has not changed, how this drop will be perceived by schools?
2. At current scores, how does my application look like for my target schools?

Awaiting your response.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult retest. The good news is that you revealed a higher Quant ability. Some schools (in particular, I believe INSEAD) will combine your highest scores from different exams, so you may wish to contact the admissions offices of your target programs to ask if this is possible. However, when it comes time for finance recruiting, you are almost certainly going to have to furnish recruiters with your highest GMAT score, so it makes sense to retake the exam in any case to pull it up to over 700.


Hi Jen,


Thanks for your reply. I retook the test recently and finally got a 700 (Q49, V36). Given all the information, please comment on my application for following schools:

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. Wharton
4. NYU Stern
5. Chicago Booth
6. Oxford
7. Cambridge

This is the macro list of schools I am targeting. My focus area is finance. Please feel free to suggest other schools which I should consider.
_________________

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 02:23
Expert's post
GMATmission wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
GMATmission wrote:
Hi Team,

Need your guidance. First a score of 680 (Q 46, V 37, AWA 6) and then one month later got a score of 620 (Q 49, V27). I retook the exam because I wanted to get a higher score on Quants and was targeting overall score of 720+. Unfortunately, during my retake, I did badly in Verbal (even though I felt I was doing well and my preparation and mock tests reflected a score of 40+).

My profile: Female, Indian, Already have an Indian MBA (but have good reasons to pursue global MBA), worked for 4.5 years in Banking in India, Right now am working for a micro business school in Singapore.
Target schools: LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, Wharton (Finance and Entrepreneurship focused schools)

Now my questions are:

1. Should I retake? - unlike my case, typically scores go up in retakes. Even though the highest score of two takes has not changed, how this drop will be perceived by schools?
2. At current scores, how does my application look like for my target schools?

Awaiting your response.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult retest. The good news is that you revealed a higher Quant ability. Some schools (in particular, I believe INSEAD) will combine your highest scores from different exams, so you may wish to contact the admissions offices of your target programs to ask if this is possible. However, when it comes time for finance recruiting, you are almost certainly going to have to furnish recruiters with your highest GMAT score, so it makes sense to retake the exam in any case to pull it up to over 700.


Hi Jen,


Thanks for your reply. I retook the test recently and finally got a 700 (Q49, V36). Given all the information, please comment on my application for following schools:

1. LBS
2. INSEAD
3. Wharton
4. NYU Stern
5. Chicago Booth
6. Oxford
7. Cambridge

This is the macro list of schools I am targeting. My focus area is finance. Please feel free to suggest other schools which I should consider.

Yes, it sounds like you now are a good contender for these programs. Also strong in finance (and worth a second look) are Darden, Notre Dame, UNC, and Tepper.
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Bell the GMAT!!!
Affiliations: Aidha
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 14:58
jenniferbloom wrote:
Yes, it sounds like you now are a good contender for these programs. Also strong in finance (and worth a second look) are Darden, Notre Dame, UNC, and Tepper.


Thanks for the quick revert :)
_________________

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 668
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 16:04
Expert's post
GMATmission wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
Yes, it sounds like you now are a good contender for these programs. Also strong in finance (and worth a second look) are Darden, Notre Dame, UNC, and Tepper.


Thanks for the quick revert :)

Oh, I try!
_________________

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation dannyh1980 3 19 Apr 2006, 22:49
1 Profile Evaluation lazy_k 0 17 Oct 2005, 04:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation lazy_k 2 17 Oct 2005, 04:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile evaluation kwest80 1 25 Sep 2005, 16:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic Evaluate profile kamranbl-mba 3 24 Sep 2005, 04:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

profile evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.