Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 20:10
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile and give your valuable suggestions. I am looking to apply for R2 this year.

GMAT Score: 730 (Q49, V40) 5.0

Under-grad: Engineering from a Premier Institute in India
CGPA : 6.9/10 (CGPA in the last three semesters is much better than the average, if it helps)
Extra-curricular: secretary of a 400-member association, part of a magazine's editorial team, placement volunteer

Work Experience:
-52 months as a Business Analyst (functional expert) for a team that develops s/w tools for Brokerage Firms in US Equity Trading space.
-Working for a Fortune 500 company for the last 27 months
-Promoted twice in the career spanning 4 years
-Received Performance Award this year
-Can talk about initiatives taken in the office & leadership role played at different instances

Extra-curriculars:
-Fund-raiser for Scholarships to needy students
-Financial controller of a non-profit Leadership Program spread across three continents

Others:
-Cleared CFA Level I

Post MBA goals:
Investment Management. Does this sound like a plan? I have spent more than 4 years absorbing the intricacies of Equity trading, how sell-side firms work, etc as part of my job as a functional expert. Also, I am pursuing CFA to get grip over buy-side of the market. Will this help me convince that I did substantial work towards my goal of becoming an Investment Manager? Does my need for an MBA evident in this story?

Target Schools:
Top 20 US BSchools (excluding the Top 5). Please help me narrow down the list.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 06:50
rkmba wrote:
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile and give your valuable suggestions. I am looking to apply for R2 this year.

GMAT Score: 730 (Q49, V40) 5.0

Under-grad: Engineering from a Premier Institute in India
CGPA : 6.9/10 (CGPA in the last three semesters is much better than the average, if it helps)
Extra-curricular: secretary of a 400-member association, part of a magazine's editorial team, placement volunteer

Work Experience:
-52 months as a Business Analyst (functional expert) for a team that develops s/w tools for Brokerage Firms in US Equity Trading space.
-Working for a Fortune 500 company for the last 27 months
-Promoted twice in the career spanning 4 years
-Received Performance Award this year
-Can talk about initiatives taken in the office & leadership role played at different instances

Extra-curriculars:
-Fund-raiser for Scholarships to needy students
-Financial controller of a non-profit Leadership Program spread across three continents

Others:
-Cleared CFA Level I

Post MBA goals:
Investment Management. Does this sound like a plan? I have spent more than 4 years absorbing the intricacies of Equity trading, how sell-side firms work, etc as part of my job as a functional expert. Also, I am pursuing CFA to get grip over buy-side of the market. Will this help me convince that I did substantial work towards my goal of becoming an Investment Manager? Does my need for an MBA evident in this story?

Target Schools:
Top 20 US BSchools (excluding the Top 5). Please help me narrow down the list.

Hi,

Hi,

Your profile looks good in terms of GMAT score, academics and extracurricular activities.

Regarding your plans for the MBA in Investment Management, I think you are in the right path. With your current background as Business Analyst and developing s/w tool for brokerage firm, you can convincingly write about getting nuances of the working of equity firms. And your getting your CFA in parallel can also be showcased as the step in the right direction towards your plan.

The real deal would be how convincing you sound in your essays showcasing your proven leadership instances and knowledge gain through different stages for your profession towards your goal of going into Investment Management.

I think you should target the following US B-Schools - Chicago Booth, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, Stanford, Michigan Ross, Kellogg, NYU Stern and Cornell.

And yes in the end, I don't think you have to exclude top 5. Apply to 1-2 top 5 schools. If your essays are good then we have seen people with similar profile going in top 5 as well.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
http://www.general-ed.com

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 12:32
Hi rkmba,
Your data points are good. Your CGPA is on the lower end and you should not leave any loop holes in your application do address it. Can you justify your score during the undergrad? Where you involved in some other co-curricular activities during your undergrad?

Yes, CFA Level-1 corroborates to your long term career goal. I am assuming you are also registered for level 2 in June which provides further credence to your plans. Keep in mind that there is very limited recruiting for 'Investment management' in most of the schools and you will have to reach out to companies. CFA will be as useful as MBA in your job search so you need to keep that aspect in mind while drafting your essays.

Top 20 is an achievable list if you have cohesive stories. Are you aiming for R2 or R3?

Ping us for free 30-minute free consultation.

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 12:32