Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 12:16
Hi guys i was just hoping whether someone could inform me if it is worth applying to fordham's mba program given my credentials.
Im still relatively young at 25, and i have experience as an entrepreneur. Below is some of my info

1) i worked as a customer service manager, at charge and ride inc, based in New York, for four years during college.

I was originally a business major, but i graduated with only two classes left in order to pursue the opportunity to start my own business. I moved to Faislabad, Pakistan, june 2010, where i founded Pharmiz Pharmacy, a 24/7 pharmacy chain. My business became an instant success, and within a year i went from a single store to three. I handled around 60 employees, and soon enough i caught the attention of bigger chains who felt threatened by my company. January 2012 one of my rival companies made an offer i just could not refuse. so after much deliberation i sold my business in february 2012.

2) The first time i took the gmat was when i was came back to america for a couple of weeks, and figured why not.. i scored a pathetic 490........I recently put a lot of hard work into studying all the material, and despite scoring high on my practice exams, i only managed a 580 Q33 V 37.

3) I graduated Stony Brook university with a 2.96 GPA. I majored in history, in which i had a 3.4 GPA, and minored in Business. As mentioned earlier i was also a business major at one point, and only needed two more classes to earn the major. However with the opportunity i had i just could not wait another semester, and felt like i needed to take the risk. None the less my Business GPA was in mid 3.0 range. My poor overall GPA had a lot to do with my first semester, in which i earned a horrible .5 GPA. I was going through one of the most painful years of my life, and i really dont want to use this as an excuse, but it significantly affected my grades. I fought hard the next semester and avoided academic probation with a stellar semester. I still managed to trip here and there, as i was working full time, while trying to support my self. Overall, through poor decisions, i managed to blemish my transcript with four F's . However each class i failed i retook, and did exceptional the second time around. Stony Brook doesn't replace grades only averages them, so even though i received a's and b's my second time around, my overall GPA was still greatly affected since the grades averaged out to c's and d's.

Despite my weak gmat quant i have done very well in math related subjects in Stony Brook. I have received A's in Business Statistics, Calc A, Financial accounting, Macroeconomics, and B's in classes such as finance.

4) I was a member of business leaders of Stony brook. I have also been on the deans list for exceptional semester grades. In all honesty between work, and school, i had very little time to spend. Post college activities have included setting up funds for under privileged children in pakistan through my business.

5) My target school is Fordham. However i would be open to uconn, pace, and baruch.

6) My goal is to go into communications and media management. I want my skills to allow me to break into this industry, and i want to use my work experience to hone my skills, and prepare me for the next venture in my life. I have a strong entrepreneur spirit, and i plan on venturing into a new business once the dots start to connect.

If you have any other further questions please feel free to ask me.
Thanks,
Riz
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:43
Expert's post
Riz,

I think you would have a chance at Fordham in the upcoming application cycle. You meet their minimums.However, while your work experience is impressive, meeting minimums doesn't create a high degree of confidence about your acceptance chances. You can apply, and if not accepted work to mitigate your weaknesses and reapply with a stronger profile next time around.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 10:53
Thanks linda,
I really appreciate the reply. I just have one more question if you dont mind. I am applying to fordham's media and communications mba program. As a result do you think the admission committee would focus on my quant scores a little less than if i go for something like finance?
Expert Post
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 01:15
Expert's post
rizy wrote:
Thanks linda,
I really appreciate the reply. I just have one more question if you dont mind. I am applying to fordham's media and communications mba program. As a result do you think the admission committee would focus on my quant scores a little less than if i go for something like finance?

HI, Rizy. If you check out the curriculum for Fordham's Communications and Media Management concentration, you'll see that it is very quant based, so I do believe that your Quant score is going to be considered extremely relevant. If you have time to try to boost the score, that can't hurt, but as Linda said, your experience and success might be enough to convince them already.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 11:46
Hi,

Please give me some feedback on my profile.
I am a female applicant from India with GPA 3.5 in B.Tech(Information Technology) from an Unknown college.
I will have 36 months of experience in Informaton Technology from a Fortune 500 company.
I have not yet given GMAT but my mock GMAT scores are ~730.

Kindly let me know if I have got chances to get into top schools like Harvard/Wharton/Stern/Columbia.
Also let me know what should be my target schools if I don't have good chances with the ones I have mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
Wishful Thinker

Master Tigress
~~
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 09:41
Expert's post
mastertigress wrote:
Hi,

Please give me some feedback on my profile.
I am a female applicant from India with GPA 3.5 in B.Tech(Information Technology) from an Unknown college.
I will have 36 months of experience in Informaton Technology from a Fortune 500 company.
I have not yet given GMAT but my mock GMAT scores are ~730.

Kindly let me know if I have got chances to get into top schools like Harvard/Wharton/Stern/Columbia.
Also let me know what should be my target schools if I don't have good chances with the ones I have mentioned.

Thanks in advance,
Wishful Thinker

Hi, Wishful ;-)
Most of your "chances" would depend on what you've done in your 36 months of work experience and life outside of that. If you've led groundbreaking movements and company-changing efforts, then you stand a chance at H/W/S/C, but if you've been programming or doing business analysis, then it is less likely. The "unknown college" does matter a bit as well. The top US programs like to accept graduates of the top Indian programs as well. However, for the right set of accomplishments, they do certainly look outside of that elite list of programs.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 07:23
Hi Jennifer :)
Thanks for your inputs..I have pretty good extra curriculars as well...I just hope to get into good schools :?

Master Tigress
~~
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:29
Expert's post
mastertigress wrote:
Hi Jennifer :)
Thanks for your inputs..I have pretty good extra curriculars as well...I just hope to get into good schools :?

Best of luck in your pursuit of the dream!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553