Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 12:57
Asian Male
Age 31
Undergraduate: Computer Science and Engineering at an average American college
GPA: overall 3.38, engineering weighted, ~3.6
GMAT: 750, q49, v44.
W.E.:
1 year internship a search engine company doing automation
1 year at a data networking startup doing QA.
7 years (and still) at another data networking company (well known silicon valley company, publicly traded) as a test automation engineer
Leadership:
- Tech lead for automation in my group. Although they are not my direct reports, I oversee and lead usually 2 people onsite and 8 people offsite on various team projects and adherence to development principles. I have had this role for almost 4 years.
- Came up with, designed, and drove several innovations that have had broad implications on software process at my company.
Extracurricular:
- In high school I was a varsity letter in 3 sports and a captain of one. I was also captain when the team won the division championships for the first time. Not sure if this is relevant at this stage in my life.
- Training for a natural bodybuilding show before the end of the year. I have been actively involved in the sport for over 10 years and it is my main hobby.

Misc:
I will be starting as a volunteer "Yes We Can... Read" this summer. But until then, I have no other volunteer experiences.

Interested in..
Primarily part time programs in silicon valley or further
- Haas
- Andersen (weekends)

But any other top 20 Full Time schools I would absolutely consider. Yale and Sloan in particular.

thanks in advance for this advice, it's really a treat to be able to get feedback free before considering consultation.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 04:44
Expert's post
You seem like a shoo-in for part time programs for sure and I think you'd have a run at top ten full time programs as well depending on your post-MBA vision and how well it ties into your existing experience. Because you have an extended work history, you will be more heavily scrutinized for what you have achieved (or not) in your career. Many people with 10 years WE are executives applying to EMBA programs, so the fact that you haven't achieved this kind of leadershp status may give some schools in the top tier reason to pause. The good news is, you clearly have the smarts for b-school and plenty of extra involvement to demonstrate depth. I also like the innovation that is demonstrated in your background which will appeal particularly to places like Haas and Sloan. Graduating from a mediocre college won't help, but it's been a long time since college, so this will matter less now--more about what you have achieved in your career and how you have impacted your organization. I think showing promotions at work, particularly where you are now since you have been there seven years, would go a long way towards proving you are an achiever who gets noticed. GMAT is fantastic, but frankly, the Asian Male applicant pool is replete with GMAT toppers, so focus on standing out by sharing all the detail of your personal and professional story that is unique to you. Ask yourself how am I different from the next Asian Male Engineer with a top GMAT score and you will be thinking about this the right way.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 12

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 10:24
bryantmichaels wrote:
You seem like a shoo-in for part time programs for sure and I think you'd have a run at top ten full time programs as well depending on your post-MBA vision and how well it ties into your existing experience. Because you have an extended work history, you will be more heavily scrutinized for what you have achieved (or not) in your career. Many people with 10 years WE are executives applying to EMBA programs, so the fact that you haven't achieved this kind of leadershp status may give some schools in the top tier reason to pause. The good news is, you clearly have the smarts for b-school and plenty of extra involvement to demonstrate depth. I also like the innovation that is demonstrated in your background which will appeal particularly to places like Haas and Sloan. Graduating from a mediocre college won't help, but it's been a long time since college, so this will matter less now--more about what you have achieved in your career and how you have impacted your organization. I think showing promotions at work, particularly where you are now since you have been there seven years, would go a long way towards proving you are an achiever who gets noticed. GMAT is fantastic, but frankly, the Asian Male applicant pool is replete with GMAT toppers, so focus on standing out by sharing all the detail of your personal and professional story that is unique to you. Ask yourself how am I different from the next Asian Male Engineer with a top GMAT score and you will be thinking about this the right way.

Bryant,

I really appreciate your analysis. I think you really nailed the holes in the profile... now how to address them, I'm really at a loss. I am seriously considering admissions consultation; i had a friend that finished at stanford last year that used Veritas admissions consultation, so you come highly recommended.

thanks!