Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 02:45
Nationality: Indian

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
Total 9 years
Last 6 months:[]
Started my own venture in e-commerce space

[u]8.5 Years of Software Development Experience

3 years as Senior Software Engineer in Intuit
3 years as Senior Applications Engineer in Oracle

2) Your GMAT. 720 V42 Q 48

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

M.S in Software Systems
College:Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences.(BITS ) Pilani
CGPA 4

B.E in Computer Science
College: Bengal Engineering and Science University
CGPA 4

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
1.[u]Got elected as President of College Student Union through university election /u]
2. Won prizes at state level in Mathematics and Quiz competitions.
2. Actively took part in campaigns like "Save Tree" in this phase of rampant and unplanned urbanization in India
3. Submitted Ideas in Pan India Idea Challenge by EconomicTimes.com a premier FinancePortal in India (http://www.ideas.economictimes.com/). Awaiting result announcement.
4. Community Service for under privileged Students
5. Active participant in Soccer and TT. Won numerous prizes in office and college.

5) Important certifications
6) Your target programs
INSEAD, LBS, Wharton, Tuck, Booth, Kellogg
7) Your post-MBA goal: Short Term Goal: To establish the current venture . Long Term goal to be a Serial Entrepreneur
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 17:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for all the info! Your profile is pretty impressive -- congratulations on your new venture. Being an entrepreneur is a lot of work! Let's take a look at the different dimensions of your profile:

1. Professional -- sounds like you've made a solid transition from software/IT to start-up entrepreneur. Whether you can legitimately position yourself as an entrepreneur (instead of an IT professional) will depend on a couple things though: e.g. - how far along your start-up is, what role you play, whether you've quit your day job, etc. If you're fiddling with an idea on the side of your day job, and if the idea isn't yet up and running and have traction, that's less compelling and less of a story. If you've quit your job and have been working full time on your start-up, have a site and paying customers and/or funding... that's a very different story! So, it kind of depends how far along you are, but if you are squarely on the entrepreneurial track and have rich stories to tell on the business (not tech) side, then this will really differentiate you from other candidates in your demographic (Indian engineers).

2. Community -- sounds like you've done some community activities, but more so on an ad-hoc basis rather than as an entrenched leader within one community organization. If that's so, then your community experience will be generally on par with your peers. It would be ideal to have more consistent community activities and be able to demonstrate leadership and passion within those activities. Still, it's good that you have some (I am assuming these are post-college activities... if you do not have post college community activities, then that will be a disadvantage in your application).

3. Academics -- a 720 GMAT score is competitive, but you should keep in mind that many Indian engineers apply to these schools with exceptional GMAT scores (750+ range). That is certainly not the case for everyone, and I don't recommend that you retake it, but just something you should be aware of. Against the general population, a 720 is a great score, but within this demographic and within your target schools, you might be average/slightly below. If your undergrad and grad GPAs are truly 4.0s, that is pretty good -- but college was a long time ago for you, so may count a little less.

4. Extracurricular activities -- it sounds like you are active in sports, even post-college, which is great. Again, it would be ideal if you can show some leadership through your activities -- e.g., "I started the soccer club at my office...", or something like that. Then it becomes a story you can include in your application versus a bullet point you can include in your resume. College activities are not so impressive at this point given your age.

With all that taken into consideration, I would say your current target schools are somewhat risky. These are all incredibly competitive schools and while you could be considered seriously (again, depends on the extent of your entrepreneurial experience/success), it would be a risky strategy to not include more realistic or slightly safer schools. It also strikes me that these schools are not necessarily the ones with the strongest entrepreneurship programs -- I am not sure what factors you were considering when you put together your school list, but I'd really recommend you also take a look at UCLA, UC Berkeley, and even Babson if you're really serious about entrepreneurship. But either way, I definitely suggest adding some lower tier schools to the mix like UCLA, Duke, Babson, etc.

One thing you should really keep in mind: you are 32 years old, which is on the older side of the candidate pool for full time MBA programs. You should definitely still apply (you're not going to get any younger!), but you should know that this could be considered in your application as a negative. This varies from school to school (at Berkeley, for instance, there were plenty of students in their 30s), so you may want to see which schools tend to skew to older versus younger candidates and consider this as you build your target list.

I hope this helps!
Mili
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 20:23
Amazing!!! Thanks a lot.

Couple of points I would like to mention here

I quit my day job and building the e commerce site which will hopefully go live in a Month or Two maximum. This is my full time venture now. I do not have any funding as of now. It is self funded. I have taken some loans as well from my friends.Once it goes live I am planning to the next level by securing venture capital once it is launched and fully functional.

I indeed started employee club and football clubs in my office.
I along with my comrades founded a party in our college (Independent Council) to curb outside influence of political parties through their students wing in our college.
I got elected as president through election conducted by college authorities contesting against different political party backed students wing. All the college students voted. As a icing on the cake I not only won in overwhelming majority but also won individually at every class level i.e. class of 2002, class of 2003 etc.

As a president of the students union we conducted blood donation camps, took variety of issues to university chancellor, conducted alumni meet, organized tech fest ,worked with placement cell for better placements in the time of recession to name a few

Also I am not sure if I should mention about my family's past.

We were landowners in erstwhile East Pakistan. After 1971 Bangladesh war my parents moved to India as refugees (separately ; still not married) . We have seen incredible difficulty before I got into engineering. We did not even have electricity . I do not want to say more to turn it into an emotional harangue. That is why I did not mention this in the first place.

Do let me know your input. Agin I just cant thank you enough
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 05:49
Expert's post
Just responded to your DM on this - hope it helps!

Mili