Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 17:59
1)Work Experience:

- 2 years experience working as an associate veterinarian
- Experienced focused in Dentistry
- 6 months of exotic animal experience

2)GMAT:

Have yet to take the GMAT.
I took the GRE in 2005 and scored 700+ in verbal and quant and 600+ in writing

3)Educational Background:

- Graduated from Kansas State Univ Cum Laude with a B.S. major in Animal Science and a minor in biology, GPA 3.75
- Graduated from Kansas State College of Veterinary Medicine, Doctor in Veterinary Medicine (DVM), GPA 3.55, Class Rank 22 of 108

4)Extra Curricular:
- Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- Volunteer for low cost spay neuter clinics in the Raliegh-Durham area

5)Cerifications:
Doctor in Veterinary Medicine (DVM)

6)Target Programs:
Stanford, Havard, Wharton, Cornell, Purdue, Darden, Kenan-Flagler

7)Post MBA Goals:
Short term: Using MBA to better understand the business environment of veterinary medicine
Long term: Entrepreneurship/Business Strategy, finding a long-term solution failing small veterinary practices

8) Personal Statistics
- I am a female who is a combination of Native American and western European descent
- I will be 29 when I start the program
- I will be married when I start the program

9) Questions
- How realistic are my targeted programs?
- What GMAT score do I need to make my targeted programs realistic?
- What, if any, scholarship opportunities are available to someone with my profile?

Thank you for your help,

Carolton
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 10:40
Expert's post
Hello,

Thank you for the detailed profile information. I would say that with your current profile, Harvard, Stanford and Wharton are going to be stretch schools for you. Even if you were able to score a very high GMAT score, I believe your leadership profile would not be competitive enough for these schools. Let's break this down further and think through which schools might be more realistic targets:

Top MBA programs will evaluate you on a few different dimensions, including but not limited to: your academic profile (can you keep up with the curriculum?), your professional experience (have you demonstrated that you have the potential to lead an organization), your community leadership (are you a proven leader in your community who makes positive change/impact?), and your extracurricular activities (are you a passionate and engaged individual who follows their dreams and creates opportunities for yourself and others?).

Academics: your GPA in undergrad and grad school are strong and your coursework was likely pretty science heavy, which is good. For top programs, you want to aim for a 700+ overall score on the GMAT, with an 80th percentile (at least) on each section. It's a rule of thumb not a hard and fast rule, but that's what you want to aim for. Obviously, the higher the better!

Professional experience: your professional background is very nontraditional. This is not always a bad thing, but my sense is that it would be difficult to demonstrate the same level of leadership as a consultant or banker is able to demonstrate. That said, I don't have a ton of knowledge about what associate vets do or what your leadership experience in that role has been like. Still, my sense is that the role is somewhat more routine, patient oriented? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Extracurricular: I didn't see mention of any extracurricular activities (e.g., marathon runner, opera singer, etc.), so this would be a gap in your profile.

Community: It's great that you volunteer at HH and local facilities, but for HBS/Stanford/Wharton, you want to be able to demonstrate that you are a leader. Especially if you haven't had as much professional leadership experience, they will look to your extracurricular and community activities for evidence of leadership capacity, and if you're not in a leadership role in these organizations, it will be a tough case to make.

I know this probably wasn't exactly what you were hoping to hear, but hopefully it helps you think through your next steps. One option you have is to wait a couple years before applying and use the time to further develop your leadership profile. Alternatively, you can consider different school options. I think Darden can stay on the top end of your list, and Purdue and UNC are fine as well. If you're really interested in entrepreneurship, you could consider Babson as well. There are a number of schools to consider between Darden and UNC range, but I'm not too familiar with ones that focus on veterinary medicine - that would be something worth researching (find a school that has a great graduate program in veterinary medicine so that you could take courses in both programs, perhaps)? Sorry not to be more helpful on this one -- the field you are coming from and looking to go further in is very non-traditional :/

As for scholarship opportunities, I bet you could find some Native American/minority focused scholarships that you could try for, but you'll have to do research on those on your own.

Best of luck,
Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 07:30
Thank you for your help. As I begin this process I don't really know what I should target so your reply was very helpful. I was targeting Cornell and Wharton because both schools have a vet program. There are only 25 vet programs in the country so it is difficult to find a good school with both a vet school and a good MBA program.

I do believe I have leadership experience in my role as a associate vet. I manage 3-5 vet techs and train/mentor a new vet. I also have to make daily life/death decisions and sell my analysis of the patient to its owners. However, I am not sure if this is the leadership experience MBA programs look for.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 16:44
Expert's post
That is great that you manage a team -- teamwork is definitely a skill set the ad com looks for, so definitely play this up. They want to see how you work in teams, how you lead them. They also want to see that you are taking initiative to improve the organization/company/practice in some way -- training the new vet is great, but what about other initiatives? Have you led a new initiative to improve processes, procedures, etc.? Certainly the 'grace under fire' nature of your work is a strength worth pointing out. Business schools are open to non-traditional experience, but you want to demonstrate the same characteristics and skill sets as a business person would.

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter