Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 00:10
Hi Linda,

I'm a Bachelors in Technology (Electronics and communication), completed my grad in 2007 and since then working in one of the leading semidonductor companies in the world (currently ranked 4). My area of specialization is software for multimedia devices like smartpones, tablets etc. Total Experience 5 yrs, promoted twice, and current role is Technical Leader.
I'm yet to appear for GMAT, later this month, targetting 700+.
I also have significant experience in community service like volunteering at ngos and participating in community services such as educating poor children etc.
Pretty active in extracurricular activities too. For example, i setup the only music band at my office and it's been a huge success, organized various events.

I have few concerns regarding my application:

First, i did schooling and grad from a university (among 7 central universities of India) where getting high scores is not common. For example, topper in tenth grade at my time scored just above 75%, same was the case during my graduation the topper scored like 8.6-8.7 out of 10. I scored arnd 70% n 8.0 respectively. So if my performance on relative basis is pretty good but it looks ugly just by looking at marksheets. What do you recommend me to do while writing my application for B Schools.

Second, i have keen interest in finance but no formal experience. I know ins and outs of technical analysis of cash markets and my predictions are also pretty accurate most of the times. I'm confused whether to go for career shift into finance or to choose something relevant to my experience such as technical marketing which aslo has huge scope. Please suggest me how should go about choosing it and something that would look strong on my application essay.

And please suggest me some good Bschools where i can apply. I would prefer UK/US and where i can get scholarship and among 30 top ranked schools

Thanks & Best Regards,
Mansoor
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 19:10
Expert's post
mansoorfarooqui wrote:
Hi Linda,

I'm a Bachelors in Technology (Electronics and communication), completed my grad in 2007 and since then working in one of the leading semidonductor companies in the world (currently ranked 4). My area of specialization is software for multimedia devices like smartpones, tablets etc. Total Experience 5 yrs, promoted twice, and current role is Technical Leader.
I'm yet to appear for GMAT, later this month, targetting 700+.
I also have significant experience in community service like volunteering at ngos and participating in community services such as educating poor children etc.
Pretty active in extracurricular activities too. For example, i setup the only music band at my office and it's been a huge success, organized various events.

I have few concerns regarding my application:

First, i did schooling and grad from a university (among 7 central universities of India) where getting high scores is not common. For example, topper in tenth grade at my time scored just above 75%, same was the case during my graduation the topper scored like 8.6-8.7 out of 10. I scored arnd 70% n 8.0 respectively. So if my performance on relative basis is pretty good but it looks ugly just by looking at marksheets. What do you recommend me to do while writing my application for B Schools.

Second, i have keen interest in finance but no formal experience. I know ins and outs of technical analysis of cash markets and my predictions are also pretty accurate most of the times. I'm confused whether to go for career shift into finance or to choose something relevant to my experience such as technical marketing which aslo has huge scope. Please suggest me how should go about choosing it and something that would look strong on my application essay.

And please suggest me some good Bschools where i can apply. I would prefer UK/US and where i can get scholarship and among 30 top ranked schools

Thanks & Best Regards,
Mansoor

Mansour,

To answer your questions:

1. Your high school grades and record are irrelevant when applying to a U.S. (or UK) graduate program. Your college grades, however, are relevant and important. If your college is a reputable one and fairly well known, the top US and UK business schools will know how to read your transcript. It also wouldn't hurt if you include on your resume that you graduated in the top X% of your class. Obviously be accurate.

2. If you can write "I know ins and outs of technical analysis of cash markets and my predictions are also pretty accurate most of the times" then clearly you have some experience with finance. How did you learn the ins and outs of technical analysis and when have you made predictions or invested on that basis? What ever that activity is, it is the basis for your interest in finance. Furthermore, your engineering background has given you the quantitative skills necessary to succeed in finance. We have several resources for career switchers. I recommend you start with MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Career Changers.

I think it would be more useful if I recommend programs after you earn your GMAT score. It really does make a difference. So please post again after you take the exam.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 03:49
Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot for the invaluable advice. I will definitely come up after i get official GMAT score later this month.
Regarding my experience with stock market, I started it out of curiosity but later developed significant interest. There have been instances when my colleagues and friends have benefited from my advice. Due to my current job i'm not able to give my 100% but i know doing mba would definitely boost my skills through interaction with other experts in the field. One thing that i'm weak at currently is Risk management, which i think will get strong post MBA.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & BR,
Mansoor