Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 19:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can you please evaluate my profile:

-29 and currently live and work in Canada
-interned with a hedgefund to start my career; however, I have almost 3 years experience in agriculture (on a path to become a commodity trader with the top company in Canada)
-B.A. in economics from a top 20 liberal arts university in the US
-low gpa 2.7(really struggled my first two years)
-NCAA division 1 athlete (sport was played all school year)
-the team was very successful and I won a lot of individual awards
-played two years professionally after university
-diagnosed with a neurological disease my senior year (it is an incredible story about what I went through and had to overcome)
-one of two people in the world that have played professionally with this disease
-I do a lot of fundraising for my disease and have become a role model for a lot kids living with the disease
-scored a 680 on the gmat (49q 34v), I scored a 730 on the practice exam-froze up on the English section during the exam, so I know that I can do better.

Motivation to do a MBA:
-I want to be living proof to all the kids living with my disease that you can live a normal life and achieve your dreams.
-Would love to get into Finance-the market and what affects the markets drives and motivates me.
-I have been through a lot in my life and will have a much different perspective than others.

If want to know anymore, please let me know; I would really appreciate an honest evaluation to what is realistic.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 04:56
Expert's post
I think your chances are good at a top 14 school. Your work experience and GMAT score is good enough to overcome the low GPA. I think your experience as D-I and professional experience, and fight against neurological disease would make great essay material.

One thing I would recommend is to tighten up your goals. For example, what exactly about finance motivates you? What role do you see yourself play after b-school and beyond?

Good luck.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 08:54
Hi ..
My GMAT score is 730 (QA 50 VA 39) AWA 4.0 IR 6 ... I got 690 in my previous attempt with AWA 5.5... Is this good enuf for ISB.. I got a work exp. of 3.25 yrs in a multinational IT firm.. please reply.. do i need to retake the GMAT for the low AWA score..
GRAD- 3.2/4
I am B Tech in Mechanical from VIT...
Please help..
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2012, 08:54