Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 17:28
Hi!
Thank you for reviewing my profile. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

I'm a 25 year old, white, female applying for a dual MBA/MIA (Masters in International Affairs). Received my BA in International Relations from Tufts University, GPA 3.67. GMAT 700 (Q 42 & V 44). Since my GMAT Quant is low, here are some other math indicators. I took one calculus class in college and got an A- and took 2 econ classes (A- & B-). Since graduation took a statistics course through an extension school and got an A+.

I am currently a Project Manager at a health insurance company, working on healthcare reform and the affordable care act. Since graduating, I have received 3 promotions at the insurance company, and have also interned abroad doing community development work in South America, and interned at a nonprofit in US. I want to move into strategy consulting for international development organizations and nonprofits, hence the dual degree program and the divergent work experience.

I currently volunteer as the Development Chair for an international development organization's young professionals group, play in two recreational sports leagues, and practice photography on the side. During college I participated in a couple of other club's and extra-curricular programs.

Columbia is my dream program and I am wondering what my chances are of getting in. In particular, if I need to raise my GMAT quant score. I would like to apply early decision, but if I decide to do so will not have sufficient time to re-take the exam. I am unsure if applying early decision will help to offset my quant score or if I would be better served to re-take the exam and apply regular decision. I am not sure if having a low quant score matters less or more because I am not a traditional candidate. Do I need to do extremely well on quant to prove that I can hang with the finance kids, or do I just embrace the fact that I am not the standard candidate and accept a high verbal score?

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some advice. It is greatly appreciated!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2012, 17:28