Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Marshall '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 15:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED

I am planning on applying to schools starting in round 2 in Jan '13 and seeking a profile evaluation.

GMAT: I recently took the GMAT and scored a 640 (Q44, V34). I am planning to take it again with a target of 680-700 but I am seeking an evaluation based off my current score.

GPA: I graduated with a BA in Economics from Brigahm Young University with a 3.27 cummulative GPA.

Work/Volunteer Experience: I currently have 2.5 years post grad work experience as a Consultant in the automotive industry for a CRM software company. (In a nutshell I travel all over the country consult with GM's and Dealer principals on how to best implement and utilize a CRM in their car dealerships.) Also, prior to completing my undergrad l spent two years living in Mexico and volunteering as a missionary for my church and I became completely fluent in spanish. While completing my undergrad I also spent two years recruiting and managing sales teams of 30-40 people and I ran two separate successful offices in different locations accross the country.

I have held many in the past, and currently hold an appointed leadership position in my church for which I volunteer a minimum of 5-10 hours each week of my time.
I actively participate in service projects in my community.

My #1 of school of choice is USC Marshall. I am also interested in UCLA Anderson, and the Marriott school at BYU. I realize my current GMAT score is on the lower end of the 80% range for all three of these schools. That being said, what are my chances at any of these schools if my GMAT does not improve?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 14:17
Expert's post
Hey there and thanks for writing!
The first thought that comes to my mind is that it's a bit hard for me to evaluate based only on what you wrote here. I would need a bit more info both about your work and your volunteer experience. But anyhow, the first thing that pops out to me is: 2.5 years of WE and 29??? How did that happen?? what did you do the rest of the time?? For your age, it's pretty low, and this might raise an eyebrow or two.

For your school choice, I feel for the moment Anderson will be a reach for you, and the other two will be more within range. Of course retaking your GMAT is a very wise idea, and any more points you pull there could change the game entirely...

Let me know your thoughts and give us a bit more info about your main achievements at work and church, and I think this should help me better evaluate your profile

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Marshall '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 15:49
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there and thanks for writing!
The first thought that comes to my mind is that it's a bit hard for me to evaluate based only on what you wrote here. I would need a bit more info both about your work and your volunteer experience. But anyhow, the first thing that pops out to me is: 2.5 years of WE and 29??? How did that happen?? what did you do the rest of the time?? For your age, it's pretty low, and this might raise an eyebrow or two.

For your school choice, I feel for the moment Anderson will be a reach for you, and the other two will be more within range. Of course retaking your GMAT is a very wise idea, and any more points you pull there could change the game entirely...

Let me know your thoughts and give us a bit more info about your main achievements at work and church, and I think this should help me better evaluate your profile

Thanks for the reply. To answer your first question, the reason I am 29 and only 2.5 years removed from my undergrad is primarily because of the 2 year mission for my church. I was old for my grade so I was nearly 19 when I graduated high school. I left towards the very end of what would have been my first semster in college and I returned right after another semester started. So due to bad timing I essentially lost two extra semesters. So even though I enrolled in school right away, I was 22 years old as a freshman and graduated at age 26.5

Church/Mission Experience:
-Paid my own way to live in Mexico for two years and volunteer as a missionary.
-Carried out 12 hour work days, 7 days a week as volunteer
-Held Leadership positions the majority of my time in Mexico.
-Lead and supervised teams ranging in size from 6-16 people.
-Led large group trainings of 40-60 missionaries regularly
-All work was carried out in the spanish language (second language)

Work Experience:
As sales manager: (2 years-during undergrad)
-Managed, recruited and lead teams of 30-40 sales reps.
-Lead teams to top 20% in performance company wide (out of 80+ teams)
-carried out 60-80 hour work weeks during summer months
-Generated $3-4M in revenue annually
-Personally recruited and trained multiple reps that were promoted to managers in the company

As Strategic Consultant: (2.5 years - current)
-Quickly promoted to Senior Consultant
-Lead CRM implementation teams of 4-10 people on projects internationally (US and Canada)
-Lead large group trainings of 20-75 people regularly on CRM best practices
-Consistent Increases in Customer Revenue and CSI from consulting efforts with General Managers and Dealer Principals.
-Personal client attrition levels well below company averages
-Assigned as lead by COO on various special projects
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 23:56
Expert's post
Okay great!
I'm glad I asked you these questions, because everything you wrote here actually seems to make your experience STRONGER... so this is excellent...
Looking at what you have here, I would definitely suggest
a) presenting your missionary experience as FULL-TIME work experience (because it is). You don't have to get too deep into religious belief or ideology, but what you did here does amount to "work" and you can certainly draw on these experiences all for school and for your stories and for your future work.
Secondly, you should definitely definitely present your work during undergrad as a part of your professional experience. Lots of times, schools don't like to count this, but if it was full-time, then you need to coerce them to do so - by pointing out in the optional essay that this was full-time etc. etc.

Plus, I think that despite the "little work experience" you have a TON of leadership, which will greatly strengthen your application. So if you can nail that GMAT, then really all is done that could be done, and even if not, you should have competitive chances

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!