Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.7
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 10:39
Hi,
Thank you for reviewing my profile. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Nationality: Indian
Bachelors: Engineering in Computer Science from a reputed university in India
Work Ex: 4 years as a sales manager in an MNC IT company.
UG CGPA: 2.87
Cleared all 3 levels of CFA
Decent Extracurricular, VP of a club, secretary of another, Organized quite a few events in college
GMAT: 750

I am looking for a career in finance,banking and in that regard how much would my work ex in sales hurt my chances ?

I would like to know the schools in which I should apply ? Also how hard will it be to make it to top 20 b schools taking
into account my low CGPA ? Would it help if I retake the GMAT and get a higher score like 780 or so ? Should I get a few years of finance/banking work-ex before I apply for my MBA? Will my chances be better if I apply in European B-schools(IE,IES,Esade,HEC) or in Canada ? What can be done to improve my profile in the next 12 months or so?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:13
Expert's post
Hey there and thanks for posting,
First of all, congrats on that beautiful GMAT!! That will help a LOT when you apply.
Now on to your questions:
It's great that you found what you want and want to move into banking, but I question the wisdom of presenting such a goal to the AdCom. Probably the most common Indian profile I see is "Tech wanting to move into banking." The only problem is that it's not convincing, plus the schools have hundreds of banking applicants with great experience... why should they choose you???

Now, I don't know that you NEED to have banking experience before you apply, although if you want to go into banking post MBA it can be VERY helpful if you can get the job. Actually your job now is to GET IN, so you need to choose goals which are best for your application. My opinion is that if you were to apply with goals in sales/product management/marketing, in which you already have vast experience, you will be presenting the AdCom a far more attractive candidate, because your goals will be so much more realistic.

Don't even think about retaking the GMAT!! It's ridiculous - you already will have the highest score of wherever... instead use your time for other things - like taking on more leadership, getting more involved in volunteer work, organizing a fundraiser, leadership activities - all of these will be MUCH more effective in boosting your profile than a few more points on your already ridiculously high GMAT!!!

Your GPA is a mark against you, no doubt, but you have already done the best thing you possibly could by scoring a 750 on your GMAT. IF you have an explanation for why your GPA is so low, then you can consider writing it in an optional essay.

Voila! I hope I answered all your questions, and if not, feel free to ask more!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!