Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.7
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 10:39
Hi,
Thank you for reviewing my profile. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Nationality: Indian
Bachelors: Engineering in Computer Science from a reputed university in India
Work Ex: 4 years as a sales manager in an MNC IT company.
UG CGPA: 2.87
Cleared all 3 levels of CFA
Decent Extracurricular, VP of a club, secretary of another, Organized quite a few events in college
GMAT: 750

I am looking for a career in finance,banking and in that regard how much would my work ex in sales hurt my chances ?

I would like to know the schools in which I should apply ? Also how hard will it be to make it to top 20 b schools taking
into account my low CGPA ? Would it help if I retake the GMAT and get a higher score like 780 or so ? Should I get a few years of finance/banking work-ex before I apply for my MBA? Will my chances be better if I apply in European B-schools(IE,IES,Esade,HEC) or in Canada ? What can be done to improve my profile in the next 12 months or so?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 11:25
Expert's post
Investment banks actually like new hires without prior banking experience. You would get everything you would need to become an IB associate in b-school. THey do like super smart folks, so your GMAT would help as would getting good grades in grad school (your ug scores will likely not matter as much). One key thing will be having the HB-1 visa squared away, since US ibanking firms need you to be legally able to work here. If your goal is to work in London, for example, this obviously would not apply. I think you have a shot at a to p 20 school for sure and getting a higher GMAT score will likely not improve your chances, since your current score is really good. There is a point of diminishing returns on studying for the GMAT, as you will get just marginally more attention with a higher score once you surpass the 730 level. What you should do is to focus on schools in the top 20 who have a tradition of feeding the bulge bracket banks with associate hires. Columbia, NYU, Tuck, Duke, Virginia, Chicago, all come to mind. I think the same applies for the target schools you mention in Canada, Europe and Asia as well. One tip: try to matriculate at a school which is geographically within the financial region in which you plan to work after school. This will help you leverage your network and also receive a regionally biased banking preparation, which is what you want.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews