Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 12:41
Hello all,

I am currently studying for my GMAT with plans on attending buisness school. I attended a Canadian university from 2004-2008 while working full time; earning an Honors degree in Economics. At the time, my goal was to get that diploma, with less focus on my actual grades. Needless to say, my GPA definitely took a hit and I ended up with a 2.95. At the time I was working for the government as a network administrator in charge of all Blackberry and Email (exchange server) administration. Essentialy, I did not have great attendance and basically taught myself much of the material. Moving on, shortly after graduating, I was hired to work one of the big Canadian banks (top 10 largest banks in North America) in sales & trading - specificaly Capital Markets - Foreign Exchange Sales. In my 4 year tenure I worked my way up from an Associate to a Vice President with his own portfolio of clients. Many would call me crazy to leave this position to pursue an MBA; I am compensated very well and I enjoy what I do, but my ultimate goal is to one day work for myself. I have had the opportunity to work in Toronto & Chicago (International experience) and know this can be seen as an asset when applying to an MBA program.

My question is, with a solid GMAT score (ie. 700), what are my chances of being accepted in a good school (booth, berkeley, wharton, IE, IESE)? I'm thinking ahead towards the 2014 intake. Any advice? I don't have that many extra curriculars.

Thanks ahead of time!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 13:40
Expert's post
imajin wrote:
Hello all,

I am currently studying for my GMAT with plans on attending buisness school. I attended a Canadian university from 2004-2008 while working full time; earning an Honors degree in Economics. At the time, my goal was to get that diploma, with less focus on my actual grades. Needless to say, my GPA definitely took a hit and I ended up with a 2.95. At the time I was working for the government as a network administrator in charge of all Blackberry and Email (exchange server) administration. Essentialy, I did not have great attendance and basically taught myself much of the material. Moving on, shortly after graduating, I was hired to work one of the big Canadian banks (top 10 largest banks in North America) in sales & trading - specificaly Capital Markets - Foreign Exchange Sales. In my 4 year tenure I worked my way up from an Associate to a Vice President with his own portfolio of clients. Many would call me crazy to leave this position to pursue an MBA; I am compensated very well and I enjoy what I do, but my ultimate goal is to one day work for myself. I have had the opportunity to work in Toronto & Chicago (International experience) and know this can be seen as an asset when applying to an MBA program.

My question is, with a solid GMAT score (ie. 700), what are my chances of being accepted in a good school (booth, berkeley, wharton, IE, IESE)? I'm thinking ahead towards the 2014 intake. Any advice? I don't have that many extra curriculars.

Thanks ahead of time!

Imajin,

You're welcome.

For Booth and Berkeley, given your so-so grades, I think you would need above a 700, but you could try with a 700 too. You need to tell them you were working full time while going to school. The best way to overcome a low GPA is to take business-related classes and earn A's in them. I realize your undergrad degree is in economics, so you may want to retake a class or two that you did poorly in and ace it.

Your chances of acceptance are much better at IE and IESE, given your background and assuming a 700 balanced GMAT than at Wharton, Booth or Berkeley.

If you feel your exra-curriculars are weak, you have the time to improve them, and you should do so.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog