Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 05:19
This is my first post here. Here is my profile

GMAT Score : 740

Undergrad Percentage : 74% JNTU Hyderabad
Gender - Male
Work Experience: 3+
Previous Employer - Infosys Hyderabad - Systems Engineer
Current Employer - Oracle India - Applications Engineer (Currently working on ERP)

Extra Curricular Activities - I do service as a Gym Trainer, Making Short Films and writing novels.

At work, I have very few scenarios where I displayed my leadership activities. Successful in making strategies or re defining the process which we follow at work. While making movies, I have faced many challenges and this brought out the leadership in me.

Interested in Operations and Strategy Management and CSR.

Aspiring B-Schools - Stanford, Harvard, MIT- Sloan, Wharton , Darden and ISB

Short Term Goal - Like to work in Technology field in areas like e-commerce and Technology product companies pertaining to ERP and Publishing, wherein I could integrate my IT product ideas to the existing products

Long Term Goal - Consultant in Strategy and Operations management field. I would like to start a non - profit organization and work for the under -privileged children in fields related to education and health.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 06:40
You come from a very competitive demographic and from what you present here your profile is similar to many top candidates who apply to these schools from India. While I would definitely not discourage you from applying to the likes of H-S-W-Sloan, I would encourage you to look at a few other schools where your application might stand out a bit more. These include such schools as Booth, Ross, Johnson and Fuqua. I just want you to realize that the admissions rates for schools like H-S-W-Sloan for Indian candidates coming from IT is about half of what the stated acceptance rates are -- so this would mean about 4% for Stanford. Not great odds.

As for your background, I would really emphasize some of your not so mainstream qualities including your writing, fitness and film making. I might also look towards ways of integrating your creative energies into your career. If possible, before you apply, I might also look to get some definable leadership experiences so that you can integrate them into your essays and your interviews.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy review.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 22:39
Hi Kamesh,

Welcome to the forum...

Your profile looks pretty impressive with good GMAT & GPA. With 3+ yrs. of work experience, you are in an ideal phase of your career to plan for MBA. Well your list of b-schools sounds pretty ambitious, but of course you can make through by writing strong essays & working hard on interviews. I would suggest you to target some realistic b-schools like: Kellogg, Haas, Tuck, Columbia, Yale, Duke, Cornell, McCombs, Kenan-Flagler & INSEAD-Singapore. You can also try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool . The avg. GMAT range for these b-schools fall between 630-750, you have fair chances of being accepted. The above schools also have good placement rate in consultancy post-MBA.

Having said this, you should focus on your application essays & interviews as these are the deciding factors to convert your chances from application to admission.

Let me know in case of further queries. You can also PM me your number to have a detail discussion over your profile or selection of b-schools.

Cheers!!
Neha
Giving KUDOS is a decent way of saying thanks!!

kamesh231 wrote:
This is my first post here. Here is my profile

GMAT Score : 740

Undergrad Percentage : 74% JNTU Hyderabad
Gender - Male
Work Experience: 3+
Previous Employer - Infosys Hyderabad - Systems Engineer
Current Employer - Oracle India - Applications Engineer (Currently working on ERP)

Extra Curricular Activities - I do service as a Gym Trainer, Making Short Films and writing novels.

At work, I have very few scenarios where I displayed my leadership activities. Successful in making strategies or re defining the process which we follow at work. While making movies, I have faced many challenges and this brought out the leadership in me.

Interested in Operations and Strategy Management and CSR.

Aspiring B-Schools - Stanford, Harvard, MIT- Sloan, Wharton , Darden and ISB

Short Term Goal - Like to work in Technology field in areas like e-commerce and Technology product companies pertaining to ERP and Publishing, wherein I could integrate my IT product ideas to the existing products

Long Term Goal - Consultant in Strategy and Operations management field. I would like to start a non - profit organization and work for the under -privileged children in fields related to education and health.

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 09:02
Kamesh,
The good:
GMAT score
Making short films and writing novels (this can be really good or average depending on what level of achievement you can show. Have you published something at the national level? If yes, then you can aim high. If not, then you need to tone down your school list)

The bad:
Indian IT male.
Leadership at work: What kind of achievements do you have? What level of impact did you have on your team/company/client?

You should definitely apply to few of your dream schools but expand your list to include realistic schools such as Duke, Darden, Ross, Chicago, Haas, ISB.

Also I am not sure how your long term career goal tie back to your short term and career progression till date. Are you applying for 2013 or 2014?

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2013, 09:02