Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 04:54
I would like to get my profile evaluated before applying to B Schools
GMAT Score : 720
Academics : Masters of Science(Mathematics)
Certifications: Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Banking
NSE Certifications in Financial Markets- Equity and Derivatives Market.
Work Experience : 11 years in Banking,20 years in Stock Broking
Extra Curricular Activities: Teaching Mathematics to the under-privileged.

I'm an entrepreneur and head a team of six members. I have faced challenges and struggled to keep the business running while honoring the commitments.

I'm looking for a global exposure in Financial Markets and would like to expand my horizons.

Preferred B Schools - Harvard, Stanford, London School of Business, Wharton and ISB
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 06:01
Hi,

Hats off to you…At this juncture, you are planning for higher studies..Really commendable.
You have remarkable experience & moreover good GMAT score. You have fair chances in your shortlisted b-schools and must give it a shot. As you are interested to pursue in finance post-MBA, I would suggest you to also target b-schools like: Booth, Tuck, Columbia, NYU-Stern, Yale, UCLA-Anderson & Cornell. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking to the link http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

You can make your application essays strong mentioning leadership skills, team management & professional achievements.

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have or PM me your number to discussion over your profile or selection of b-school.

Regards,
Neha

cmotamarry wrote:
I would like to get my profile evaluated before applying to B Schools
GMAT Score : 720
Academics : Masters of Science(Mathematics)
Certifications: Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Banking
NSE Certifications in Financial Markets- Equity and Derivatives Market.
Work Experience : 11 years in Banking,20 years in Stock Broking
Extra Curricular Activities: Teaching Mathematics to the under-privileged.

I'm an entrepreneur and head a team of six members. I have faced challenges and struggled to keep the business running while honoring the commitments.

I'm looking for a global exposure in Financial Markets and would like to expand my horizons.

Preferred B Schools - Harvard, Stanford, London School of Business, Wharton and ISB

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Schools: Columbia - Class of 1997
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 08:59
Expert's post
Hi:

I don't think the situation is quite as simple as the other respondent has suggested it might be.

One of the topics covered, usually to a lesser extent, except by those majoring in human capital management, is organizational behavior. If one looks at the full-time MBA classes of the top business schools, the classes do have an age distribution. I have not undertaken a statistical analysis, but the mean is probably 27.5, with a more rapid fall off below the mean, and a slightly wobblier, less steep fall off above it.

The Admissions Committees do not simply admit an individual; they compose a class. And I do believe -- even though there is likely, for legal liability reasons, to be no explicit policy or age limit on applicants or enrolled students -- they admit classes of individuals who are at similar enough life stages so as to be recognizably 'of a cohort' --- or at most, a cohort & and half -- of each other. Diverse backgrounds -- you'll find it. Nationality, gender, targeted career path -- here too there will be a diverse range. But as a full-time MBA is an intensive experience, formed of both class-time, class-work, and socializing, there is a selection bias that will favor applicants/students who are not outliers in the life experience attribute.

If you're 53 today and 55 when you enroll, you are likely -- though not prescriptively, for I don't know you -- to be less interested in going out to get drunk with a group of 26-28 year olds after a key deadline has passed. While missing one round of drinks shouldn't be much of a problem --- the same logic would likely play out in many ways, both overt and subtle. the MBA is not just a course of study; it's a course of study that is closely tied to where a candidate has been and where' they're going, and in that regard you are certainly more accomplished than they are -- and yet, ironically, this might well work against you!

There are other executive education resources out there where your talents would likely get a fairer hearing and be appreciated for the wisdom you do, undoubtedly, possess.

Considering that AdComms basically never give away any of their right to compose a class as they see fit, to my mind it seems likely they would encourage you to apply -- after all your fee offsets that cost center -- knowing full well you'd not be admitted for these social reasons that are not even inherent in you so much as residing in the relative age difference from other admits & enrolled students.

I don't know this as policy or gospel. But it would seem to comport with the composition of classes as I have seen them over the years.

Darren Kowitt

Darren
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2012, 08:59