Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 12:43
1) Work Experience.

I am currently a research analyst at a small securities litigation firm. In this position, I perform various quantitative and qualitative analyses of companies that we have launched or are planning to launch litigation against. I have also developed numerous quantitative analyses used in settlement mediation, resulting in the attainment of nearly $10MM in attorneys' fees for my firm. Unlike many other analyst jobs, my position has allowed me to work in both independent and team-oriented settings. I will have four years of FT WE upon matriculation, but I have virtually zero managerial experience.

2) Your GMAT.

740 (Q48, V42)

3) College info.

I had a 3.42 GPA as an undergrad, but at a generally unranked state college in California. I majored in Business Management with a specialization in Entrepreneurship and minored in Statistics. My GPA was boosted by very strong grades in my upper-division business courses, showing strong upward trajectory in my undergraduate performance. Also, my GPA in my Statistics minor was nearly 4.0.

4) Extracurricular Activities.

*I currently contribute extensive volunteer work for a group that supports families dealing with substance abuse. My contributions have included attending meetings, speech-writing, and research projects. I have also taken a leadership role in the group's grant application efforts.

*I also currently serve as a pro bono consultant for a small medical device start-up. In this role, I have performed market research and provided business plan development support.

*Additionally, I volunteered as a writer for a well-respected and statistically-focused baseball publication. In this capacity, I wrote analytical articles on a weekly basis while also performing various research tasks.

*I also play in an adult baseball league, though I can't imagine this being relevant.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None.

6) Your target programs.

I am looking primarily at two different types of programs: highly quantitative FT MBA programs and top-notch PT MBA programs. I am planning to apply to Tepper and Stern's FT programs and the Anderson and Haas PT programs. I have also been made aware that Tepper offers an online PT MBA, so I may add that program to the list as well.

Any guidance as to my realistic chances of getting into these programs or any suggestions of other programs I should consider applying to given my criteria would be greatly appreciated.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 & R2 2013-14

8) Your post-MBA goal.

I hope to get myself on a consulting/info systems management track to work with big data and perform advanced statistical analyses. (kept this brief in light of word count concerns, but I will be adding additional detail to my applications)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:06
Expert's post
Cgharrity wrote:
1) Work Experience.

I am currently a research analyst at a small securities litigation firm. In this position, I perform various quantitative and qualitative analyses of companies that we have launched or are planning to launch litigation against. I have also developed numerous quantitative analyses used in settlement mediation, resulting in the attainment of nearly $10MM in attorneys' fees for my firm. Unlike many other analyst jobs, my position has allowed me to work in both independent and team-oriented settings. I will have four years of FT WE upon matriculation, but I have virtually zero managerial experience.

2) Your GMAT.

740 (Q48, V42)

3) College info.

I had a 3.42 GPA as an undergrad, but at a generally unranked state college in California. I majored in Business Management with a specialization in Entrepreneurship and minored in Statistics. My GPA was boosted by very strong grades in my upper-division business courses, showing strong upward trajectory in my undergraduate performance. Also, my GPA in my Statistics minor was nearly 4.0.

4) Extracurricular Activities.

*I currently contribute extensive volunteer work for a group that supports families dealing with substance abuse. My contributions have included attending meetings, speech-writing, and research projects. I have also taken a leadership role in the group's grant application efforts.

*I also currently serve as a pro bono consultant for a small medical device start-up. In this role, I have performed market research and provided business plan development support.

*Additionally, I volunteered as a writer for a well-respected and statistically-focused baseball publication. In this capacity, I wrote analytical articles on a weekly basis while also performing various research tasks.

*I also play in an adult baseball league, though I can't imagine this being relevant.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None.

6) Your target programs.

I am looking primarily at two different types of programs: highly quantitative FT MBA programs and top-notch PT MBA programs. I am planning to apply to Tepper and Stern's FT programs and the Anderson and Haas PT programs. I have also been made aware that Tepper offers an online PT MBA, so I may add that program to the list as well.

Any guidance as to my realistic chances of getting into these programs or any suggestions of other programs I should consider applying to given my criteria would be greatly appreciated.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

R1 & R2 2013-14

8) Your post-MBA goal.

I hope to get myself on a consulting/info systems management track to work with big data and perform advanced statistical analyses. (kept this brief in light of word count concerns, but I will be adding additional detail to my applications)

You have a competitive profile for your target schools. You may also want to consider MIT Sloan or Chicago. (stretches)

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 08:01
Thanks, Linda!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 11:15
Expert's post
Cgharrity wrote:
Thanks, Linda!

Posted from my mobile device Image

You're welcome! Please let me know if you want help with your application: http:/www.accepted.com/services/mbservices.aspx .

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog