Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:28
Hi
I have earned my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from a just-below-the-cream University in India with a 3.2 GPA.
Have 2 years of work experience (till date) in the Financial Markets as a Trader for one year and Research Analyst since then in a not-so-big firm.
Scored 680 (49Q) in the first time, but planning to give it again for a score of 720+.
Has done a lot of social work while in college and while at work. Was in the top management of Rotaract Club of my University.
Passed CFA Level 1. Passed CMT Level 1. (CMT=Charterd Market Technician)
Co-ideated a successful business venture (which is running quite well today) while in college but dropped out of the project coz of my passion for the Financial Markets.
I am looking to be in the Financial Service Industry after graduation.

I need to get into any of the follwing schools: NYU Stern, Chicago Booth, Columbia, Wharton, MIT Sloan. Also I plan to keep Rotman as my backup.
I request you to please evaluate my Profile.
Thanks a lot.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4738
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 04:36
Expert's post
mikhilcool wrote:
Hi
I have earned my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from a just-below-the-cream University in India with a 3.2 GPA.
Have 2 years of work experience (till date) in the Financial Markets as a Trader for one year and Research Analyst since then in a not-so-big firm.
Scored 680 (49Q) in the first time, but planning to give it again for a score of 720+.
Has done a lot of social work while in college and while at work. Was in the top management of Rotaract Club of my University.
Passed CFA Level 1. Passed CMT Level 1. (CMT=Charterd Market Technician)
Co-ideated a successful business venture (which is running quite well today) while in college but dropped out of the project coz of my passion for the Financial Markets.
I am looking to be in the Financial Service Industry after graduation.

I need to get into any of the follwing schools: NYU Stern, Chicago Booth, Columbia, Wharton, MIT Sloan. Also I plan to keep Rotman as my backup.
I request you to please evaluate my Profile.
Thanks a lot.


With a 720, you would have a chance at all the programs. Obviously these are tough programs There are no safeties. Also consider Duke and UNC.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 05:26
Linda wrote:
With a 720, you would have a chance at all the programs. Obviously these are tough programs There are no safeties. Also consider Duke and UNC.

Best,
Linda


Thanks a lot, Linda.

You are among the very few people who gave me a positive reply.
Most of the others have straightly told me that I would most probably get a Reject from those coz I have a lower than avg GPA. Not questioning you, but just wanted to discuss on why do you think I would have a chance?

Also, I want to be somewhere near a Financial hub (NY or Illionois), where the big financial firms are loacated. Considering that, I picked my target schools. Don't you think going to Duke or UNC would lower my chances for getting a better job (related to Financial Markets)? Still, can you please suggest me the schools that I should apply to considering the kind of job that I want to get. :-D

And if I score lets say 750+, then will it increase my chances drastically? How much of an impact will it have on my application?

Thanks
Mikhil

Last edited by mikhilcool on 14 Jun 2013, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4738
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
mikhilcool wrote:
Linda wrote:
With a 720, you would have a chance at all the programs. Obviously these are tough programs There are no safeties. Also consider Duke and UNC.

Best,
Linda


Thanks a lot, Linda.

You are among the very few people who gave me a positive reply.
Most of the others have straightly told me that I would most probably get a Reject from those coz I have a lower than avg GPA. Not questioning you, but just wanted to discuss on why do you think I would have a chance?

Also, I want to be somewhere near a Financial hub (NY or Illionois), where the big financial firms are loacated. Considering that, I picked my target schools. Don't you think going to Duke or UNC would lower my chances for getting a better job (related to Financial Markets)? Still, can you please suggest me the schools that I should apply to considering the kind of job that I want to get. :-D

And if I score lets say 750+, then will it increase my chances drastically? How much of an impact will it have on my application?

Thanks
Mikhil Mahore

Mikhail,

You asked if you have a chance at these schools if you have a 720, and based on that score and the other elements, you have a chance. I don't think it's great at Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, and MIT. Slightly better at NYU and best at Rotman. While yes if you get into a NYC or Chicago school, that would be better considering your geographic preferences, you don't yet have that choice. If you don't get accepted in Chicago or NYC, I suggest you consider UNC and Duke because they are somewhat easier to get into and have good placement in financial services, albeit not as good as your top choice schools.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation dannyh1980 3 19 Apr 2006, 22:49
1 Profile Evaluation lazy_k 0 17 Oct 2005, 04:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation lazy_k 2 17 Oct 2005, 04:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile evaluation kwest80 1 25 Sep 2005, 16:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic Evaluate profile kamranbl-mba 3 24 Sep 2005, 04:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

PROFILE EVALUATION

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.