Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 18:42
I am a Canadian Certified General Accountant. (soon will be merged with Canadian CA and CMA, and become Canadian CPA) I have been an accounting manager, supervising two accountants, at a mid-sized company since August 2011. I started with current employer in December 2008 as a Junior Accountant, and was promoted to senior accountant in March 2010.

Before that I worked 18 months for a 10 people marketing company as a bookkeeper. I took that job because I was an international student, and needed to find a full time job within three month after graduation to apply for a work permit to stay in Canada.

GMAT 710 (Q50, V34) Don't have CR AWA result yet

BBA from Acadia University, GPA 3.32/4.00, graduated 2007
Reason for low GPA: Originally from China, I came to Canada in 2003. I was learning English when I took all my university courses.

Extra-curricular activities:
At Acadia University:
Chinese club treasure, Chinese club soccer team, New Year’s Banquet performer – singing, Judge at singing competition
Post school:
Mentor at Calgary Region of Immigration Council – Mentoring new immigrants to help them to develop useful skills to land to their first professional jobs in Canada
Tax preparer at Community Tax Program – prepare tax return for low income individuals

Target programs:
Top 30 MBA programs that can help me to become an iBanker. Will apply R1-2 2014

Question 1 - Because I started grade one at 7 years old (normal age in China), and spent one year for ESL before university, I graduated from University when I was 24. I will be 31 next year. Is my age a problem for top b-schools?
Question 2 - Do I have a chance for top 10 b-school?
Question 3 - I am a Chinese citizen. I have applied for Canadian citizenship, and most likely will become a Canadian citizen by the end of this year. Does citizenship play a role in application? (Is my GMAT too low in Chinese pool?)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 22:52
Expert's post
Hey there dude,
Good to hear from you.

Let's get straight into your questions

Question 1 - Because I started grade one at 7 years old (normal age in China), and spent one year for ESL before university, I graduated from University when I was 24. I will be 31 next year. Is my age a problem for top b-schools?

It's not a 'problem' but yes, it is more difficult than if you were 26. Don't "worry" about it, but DO take it into consideration as you prepare your application
Question 2 - Do I have a chance for top 10 b-school?

It's gonna be tough. From what I see in your career history, I don't necessarily see this "shooting star" career than top 10 b-schools like to see. Also your employer is (as an accounting firm) not likely a place that sends lots of people to Top 10 programs... It doesn't mean that you should not apply to any - I think with a fantastic story, you would still have a shot - but they will be "dream schools" rather than schools at which you are competitive.

Question 3 - I am a Chinese citizen. I have applied for Canadian citizenship, and most likely will become a Canadian citizen by the end of this year. Does citizenship play a role in application? (Is my GMAT too low in Chinese pool?)

It's a good question. If they see Canada as your nationality it might be a bit easier for you, yes (and it has nothing to do with the GMAT.. just that when the schools gets xxx applicants from Chinese people, they feel like they want to build a diverse program), but it's not worth waiting a year for. For canadian schools however, it most definitely IS worth waiting for.

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 11:34
Jon,

Thank you for your reply!

I have received my official GMAT score. 710 Q50 V34 AWA 4.5 IR 4. Are my AWA and IR too low for top schools? Can you please name some programs that I should apply?

Thanks,
Michael
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 21:54
Expert's post
Hey Michael,

Your AWA and IR are fine. Not fantastic, but not bad either. And actually as long as they are decent they don't change things all that much so don't worry about that. What schools to apply to? Well, if your goal is really to go into IB, you should try and get into schools that feed into IB posts. A lot of those schools are in top 10 programs, and like I wrote, at least from what I see here, they would be a bit "dream schools" for you. (Booth, HBS, Wharton)... but there are still quite a few schools that are great out there: Columbia, NYU (neither of these will be easy to get into either, but they will be more possible than the above)... Johnson, and UNC to start with.

Good luck dude!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 05:42
Hi Jon,

I heard that Yale and Duke have good finance focus. Do I have a good chance for those two programs?

Thanks,
Michael
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 23:51
Expert's post
Michael,
Yale and Duke will still be a bit tough, although they will likely be easier that some of the other schools in Top 10. So you can apply to them, but make sure that your application strategy is well-balanced. A good example of a well-balanced application strategy would include say two schools that are "dream school" two schools at which you would be competitive and two "Safe schools" (This is the minimum of course... if you apply to more schools, the more the merrier, dude!)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 12:22
Hi Jon,
Are Yale and Duke top 10 schools too? They are in 11 – 20 in FT2013. There are many different ranks out there, I am a bit confused by them.
Thanks for sharing the application strategy, I will apply all three types of schools to reach a good balance. Do you think Yale and Duke are “Dreams Schools” for me, or more towards competitive ones for me?
Thanks,
Michael
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 23:16
Expert's post
Well, Top 10 is a bit flexible and does change from ranking to ranking.. Actually maybe I prefer the term "Tier 1" and "Tier 2".. I'd say both Yale and Duke are Tier 1 schools... and I think that for you they would be somewhere between dream and competitive, maybe a bit closer to dream. So these will be your toughest schools to get into, but still with a chance.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 08:07
Thank you Don. I have put some schools into three categories - Dream, Competitive, and Safety. Please correct me if any of the school is not in the right place. Can you please also name some US safety school for me?

Dream: Yale, Duke
Competitive: Johnson, UNC, CMU, Georgetown HKUST
Safety: CUHK, Rotman

One more question - with the help of your team, will Yale and Duke become competitive schools for me?

Thanks,
Michael
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 00:09
Expert's post
Hey there man,
Your auto-evalaution is pretty stop-on. I think you have a pretty good idea of what chances you might stand. Other schools you can look into are maybe schools like USC, Mendoza, Mays, Kelley... (there are more, and it depends a bit on your criteria). Can we help??! Of course we can! That's the whole point of our work.. ;) Just drop us a line here: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/ fill out the form, and write that you come from GMAT Club, and we'll hook you up.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com