Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation... [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 13:54
Could you please take a moment to review my profile. Thank you in advance for your input.

1. Demographics:
White Male, currently 27 (will be 28 at matriculation in Fall '14)
Originally from NY, Currently live in WA and have lived/worked Curacao, Turkey, & Korea.

2. Undergrad:
3.25 from Fordham University (BA degree)
Major: Economics
Departmental Honors
Economics Honor Society
Participant of multiple Societies, occasionally acting in a leadership capacity.

3. GMAT: 620 (70%, 37/44% Q, 38/84% V, 6.0 AWA)
Note: I am fairly confident that I am capable of at least a 40/40 ~660 on a retake. Specifically because I have identified a few weaknesses on the quant side of the house.

4. Work Experience:
6 years as an Intelligence Analyst with DOD. 5 years were in a direct leadership capacity. Personal analysis, as well as that of those managed, had tremendous impact. I also spent time acting as a defacto international liaison in much of my work. Including direct work with Koreans, Turks, Colombians, British, Australians (Awarded a letter of recognition from an Australian embassy), and the Canadians. (I could really dive in on this but choosing not to here.)

2 years of Project Management experience with a Non-Profit assisting veterans with transitioning to the civilian sector.

2 year of Project Management experience with a software company.

5. Extracurriculars:
Active member of the local PMI chapter, YMCA, and Veterans Organizations.
One can only do so much with 2 children under three years old! :-D

6. Why MBA:
I want to have knowledge to change my career path. I would ideally like to learn much more about accounting, finance, entrepreneurship, and business theory. Also, the opportunity to sandbox business ideas and models would be amazing.

7. Post MBA Goals:
I would ideally like to harness my education in a way that would enable me to be a consultant specializing in corporate start-ups.

8. Target Schools:
Boston University, Boston College, Simon, UWashington.

9. Weaknesses:
GMAT and Extracurriculars
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation... [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 18:48
Expert's post
I think you would have a good shot at your target schools. Lots of unique fodder in your profile which positions you to be remembered in the process, which is no small feat for a white guy, since caucasian males are the largest applicant pool. Your work experience with the DOD will put you in an alternative career bucket where you will be compared to others who hail from less traditional feeder industries. This is a good thing, and if you can articulate your leadership and international experiences in a compelling way, you should find interest from your targets. I wouldn't worry too much about the GMAT particularly if you can get the 660 you mentioned. A 660 would put you at or near the average for your target schools and certainly well within the 80% range. Fordham is a good school--in the neighborhood of top 50 in the US. It's been a while since you graduated so I would speak to the EC activity that comes from being a father--this can also help you stand out if you position it well.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews