Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

pROFILE EVALUATION

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 03:04
Hi, I request you to evaluate my profile. Aiming for ISB / IIMA / IIMB /INSEAD.

32, Male.
Master mariner in the merchant navy, having served out at sea for 13 years with 4 years at management level.
Have worked with ten different nationalities. And travelled to over 90 countries while sailing.
GMAT score -690 ( Q-46,V-39, AWA-5.0)
Working on board as a chief officer involves a lot of responsibilities including being the second in command of a 30 million dollar ship, leading a department, training of all crew members with regard to safety.

Having spent all that time out at sea I met with an accident on board a ship last december and was evacuated while the ship was in North sea. Post the accident after much thinking I decided to opt for a career switch and do something bigger with my life and hence started preparing for the GMAT in order to attend a B school.

On the extra curricular front :
An ardent photographer, did a course a t Delhi school of photography for leisure.
Was an active sporste person back in school with certificates for Squash at school level.
Pursued music after being a part of the school band for more than eight years.

Will appreciate if you could suggest other B schools I could consider applying to.

Thanks
Siddarth
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 06:25
Hi Siddharth,

You have good profile and you have realistic chances for your target schools. You can consider applying to IMD, St Gallen, IE, HEC in Europe and if you are considering US then you should apply to top 20 US schools. key for success is to start the application preparation early as you are already through with GMAT. It requires good amount of solid preparation for your application essays/recos so focus on them. From your experience I know you have many things to project in your essays but at the same time it is not easy to convey the idea convincingly in 300-400 words to adcom. It requires sound preparation and many iterations in framing application essays. Let me know if you have any questions, you can also PM your details for detailed discussion on how we can help you in building your application.

Regards,
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 67

Re: pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 20:19
HI siddartha

You have a good profile, with a good GMAT....You for sure have a good shot at ISB, IIMA, IIM C....
I am also a Mariner and know quite a few masters graduated from the above colleges, but they returned back to sea again. You nay have problem with Why MBA now...I mean 13 yers is a lot of time. They may pose a question that avg work es and age of class is 4-5 years and 29 years......how will u fit in and get along with class.....Your goal at his point......
These are some of the challenging questions.......

But u have a good chance to all the schools

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 01:02
Archit143 wrote:
HI siddartha

You have a good profile, with a good GMAT....You for sure have a good shot at ISB, IIMA, IIM C....
I am also a Mariner and know quite a few masters graduated from the above colleges, but they returned back to sea again. You nay have problem with Why MBA now...I mean 13 yers is a lot of time. They may pose a question that avg work es and age of class is 4-5 years and 29 years......how will u fit in and get along with class.....Your goal at his point......

Archit

Hi Archit,
Yea I know thats one of the questions I'll have to deal with it but ya I think I'm ready for it. Have heard a few horrid stories about people from our backgrounds returning to sea post their course but there are more heartening stories that I've heard, in any case I'm ready for a career switch and this seems to be a valid option for now, btw how long have you been sailing? Rank?(If youre ok to share:)
Sid
Current Student

Re: pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 04:31
siddarthkadan wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
HI siddartha

Archit

Hi Archit,
Yea I know thats one of the questions I'll have to deal with it but ya I think I'm ready for it. Have heard a few horrid stories about people from our backgrounds returning to sea post their course but there are more heartening stories that I've heard, in any case I'm ready for a career switch and this seems to be a valid option for now, btw how long have you been sailing? Rank?(If youre ok to share:)
Sid

I am Second Officer on VLCC Fleet of NYK... I have been with NYK Since my cadetship i.e 2008....
Current Student

Re: pROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 04:33
Why do not you give a shot at IIM C...Application have started apply early...

Archit
Re: pROFILE EVALUATION   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2013, 04:33