Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 13:11
Profile Evaluation

I am looking for different B-Schools and I am trying to understand if I stand a chance for them.

GMAT - 660 (Q 48, V 33)
Nationality : Indian, Female
Education : Bachelors Of Engineering in Electronics and Telecommunication from Mumbai University, India
GPA - 73/100 (Was in the top 3%. I think I was 2nd or 3rd in the entire college)
Experience: 8 years in IT, out of which 2 years in India, 6 years in US and 2 weeks in UK (was chosen for a major production deployment and this was a short business trip for that
from US to UK).Recruited to my first company straight from campus. Majority of theese experienece is in healthcare sector field.
I am HL7 certified and at the time when I was certified there were just 100 or so certified in India in this field and also Among the first in my company to get this certification.

Career goals - I have served as a lead with my last company and managed around 8 people (onsite/offshore) model. I am not quite decided on the concentration I would like to take
but one thing I am sure of is an MBA will help me immensely in my career growth. I have 8 years experience in IT and good technical expertise .An MBA can give me the management exposure I require to get to the next level. I would like to get into healthcare or operations management.

Extra Curriculum :I have done some volunteering activities, recently participated in local group dance(international festival), volunteered in cultural and tech fests in college, recipient of partial scholarships in my 2nd and 3rd year in college, received an award for Innovation and Transformation in 2012 from my previous company and received few appreciation certificates from clients. I am scheduled to run half marathon this fall.

I am planning to apply for part-time programs for Fisher, Kelley ,Ross, University of Cincinnati (back up).

Need suggestions for -
1. Do I need to give my GMAT again for the colleges I am planning to apply ?
2. Any suggestions for any other B-school ?


Thanks !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3326
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 01:03
Expert's post
Hey there!
Well the big question for me regarding your profile is whether or not you should take the GMAT, and whether or not you should delay your application in order to do so. You have a few quite strong points in your profile: 1. Real leadership experience 2. Healthcare industry 3. International experience 4. Female candidate...

Which leads me to think that you can get into some very nice healthcare programs. The thing is the big gaping hole for you is the GMAT - this is your obvious application weakness. My tendency would be to say that if you believe you can get 30+ points higher, it is worth it to consider retaking even at the expense of delaying your application by one year, if you can get even higher then even moreso. The thing is you go to ONE single MBA, and you only do this ONCE in your life, so I think in general it is wisest to go to the best program possible... Of course you may have other personal/ professional reasons for applying now, but at least take this into consideration.

To give you an idea of the difference, let's assume you retake and get a 710... now instead of having "Some chances" at a school like Ross, your chances go to being good, and then your profile becomes strong enough to apply to other Top Healthcare powerhouses like Duke, Kellogg and Haas.... so it may be worth it if you think you can do better.

Otherwise, if you do want to apply to the part-time programs below, I think you can apply this year, as part-time programs tend to be far more flexible regarding their GMAT expectations.

Would you be working during your MBA? And is that your reason for pursuing a part-time MBA?
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 05:44
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there!
Well the big question for me regarding your profile is whether or not you should take the GMAT, and whether or not you should delay your application in order to do so. You have a few quite strong points in your profile: 1. Real leadership experience 2. Healthcare industry 3. International experience 4. Female candidate...

Which leads me to think that you can get into some very nice healthcare programs. The thing is the big gaping hole for you is the GMAT - this is your obvious application weakness. My tendency would be to say that if you believe you can get 30+ points higher, it is worth it to consider retaking even at the expense of delaying your application by one year, if you can get even higher then even moreso. The thing is you go to ONE single MBA, and you only do this ONCE in your life, so I think in general it is wisest to go to the best program possible... Of course you may have other personal/ professional reasons for applying now, but at least take this into consideration.

To give you an idea of the difference, let's assume you retake and get a 710... now instead of having "Some chances" at a school like Ross, your chances go to being good, and then your profile becomes strong enough to apply to other Top Healthcare powerhouses like Duke, Kellogg and Haas.... so it may be worth it if you think you can do better.

Otherwise, if you do want to apply to the part-time programs below, I think you can apply this year, as part-time programs tend to be far more flexible regarding their GMAT expectations.

Would you be working during your MBA? And is that your reason for pursuing a part-time MBA?


Thank you Jon for evaluating my profile. Yes, I would continue working while studying part-time.

The biggest motivation for me to consider a part-time program is the tuition reimbursement I would get if I stay employed(around 10,000$). Then relocating with a toddler would be a pain for the entire family and I don't want the family to be affected by this. I am ready to sacrifice social life for 2 years :)

So a lot has gone in considering part-time.

I have few more questions -
- Few years down the road, does it really matter if you have done part-time or full-time MBA ? Do companies prefer full-time and judge candidates based on this ?
- I have heard Fisher is very selective, do you think I need to focus on some specific area to increase my chances to get in to Fisher.

- Do you recommend any other top part-time B-School program where I might stand chance with my profile?

- Am I too late in the game or on time to hit October deadline ?

- Lastly, can I send same LOR to all the B-schools. I am planning to send an LOR from my current Director who was also my manager last year, one other professional LOR and one personal LOR from a friend. What do you think ?


Thanks again !
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 06:17
Also, with my GMAt score and profile do you think I should take a chance by applying in Kellogg part time program ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 13:10
I send you a personal message....

I have almost similar profile as yours BE from Mumbai, GMAT 650 etc etc..
I just got a reject from Kellogg and I think I had good LOR and essays and interview was awsome. One thing different in your case is you are FEMALE. All these programs look for diversity and I fall is the most competitive group of Indian IT Male.

I would encourage you to apply in Kellogg as it is totally worth the gamble as we all hate to give GMAT. if you do get reject you can consider taking GMAT again
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 13:17
rockingchitown wrote:
I send you a personal message....

I have almost similar profile as yours BE from Mumbai, GMAT 650 etc etc..
I just got a reject from Kellogg and I think I had good LOR and essays and interview was awsome. One thing different in your case is you are FEMALE. All these programs look for diversity and I fall is the most competitive group of Indian IT Male.

I would encourage you to apply in Kellogg as it is totally worth the gamble as we all hate to give GMAT. if you do get reject you can consider taking GMAT again



Thank you rockingchitown for your suggestions.Just saw it an replied. Best of luck and keep posted about your applications. Did you interview for Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 ? Do you think I am starting late ?
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3326
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 02:15
Expert's post
Okay, so if I understand correctly, you already have the CONCRETE option of staying employed? That's fantastic.

And yes, there is a bit of a difference between part-time and full-time, the main being the career services and the opportunity to make a big jump, whereas if you remain part-time, that opportunity is less.

I think you are not too late in the game to hit the October deadline. If you work hard from tomorrow you should be able to make anywhere between 2-5 good applications by then. I think Kellogg will be tough without a retake, but still they are a bit more flexible when it comes to the part-time program.

Finally regarding your LORs, it's hard for me to advise you without knowing what ALL your options are... one thing I can tell you for sure - DON'T use a friend as a recommender (unless they are also your boss). Their recommendation won't mean much.

Hope that helps!!!
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 06:44
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Okay, so if I understand correctly, you already have the CONCRETE option of staying employed? That's fantastic.

And yes, there is a bit of a difference between part-time and full-time, the main being the career services and the opportunity to make a big jump, whereas if you remain part-time, that opportunity is less.

I think you are not too late in the game to hit the October deadline. If you work hard from tomorrow you should be able to make anywhere between 2-5 good applications by then. I think Kellogg will be tough without a retake, but still they are a bit more flexible when it comes to the part-time program.

Finally regarding your LORs, it's hard for me to advise you without knowing what ALL your options are... one thing I can tell you for sure - DON'T use a friend as a recommender (unless they are also your boss). Their recommendation won't mean much.

Hope that helps!!!


Thanks Jon
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3326
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 22:56
Expert's post
You got it, my friend... good luck to you.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation dannyh1980 3 19 Apr 2006, 22:49
1 Profile Evaluation lazy_k 0 17 Oct 2005, 04:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation lazy_k 2 17 Oct 2005, 04:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile evaluation kwest80 1 25 Sep 2005, 16:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic Evaluate profile kamranbl-mba 3 24 Sep 2005, 04:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.