Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 34

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 01:11
Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
- Currently employed in India's largest IT company.40 months of manufacturing IT experince.My work profile involves order entry management and manufacturing execution systems.I have been good performer in an organization.
-I am also an equity investor since last 3 years.Though I am from Engineering background,I think,I have good knowledge about Accounting,equity research.
-Active participant across online equity research forums
-Acads:
10th -85%
12th -85%
Engineering aggregate - 64.5%(Electronics)

-During college days,
I was head of organizing committee of national level technical event.
I also presided over personality development club.

- I want to move to Investment banking,portfolio management service.
- To strengthen profile,I am planning to complete CFA-L1 by the time of application.

- haven't taken yet.But I have taken CAT,CMAT and other exams and got good marks.So Target of 730 seems achievable if I carry on my prep.

My questions:
What are the top colleges I can apply?
Will premier colleges at all entertain my profile considering manufacturing experience?
What should I do to strengthen my application?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
paps3535 wrote:
Profile summary
- Currently employed in India's largest IT company.40 months of manufacturing IT experince.My work profile involves order entry management and manufacturing execution systems.I have been good performer in an organization.
-I am also an equity investor since last 3 years.Though I am from Engineering background,I think,I have good knowledge about Accounting,equity research.
-Acads:
10th -85%
12th -85%

-During college days,

- To strengthen profile,I am planning to complete CFA-L1 by the time of application.

- haven't taken yet.But I have taken CAT,CMAT and other exams and got good marks.So Target of 730 seems achievable if I carry on my prep.

My questions:
Will premier colleges at all entertain my profile considering manufacturing experience?

Hey there my friend,

First I'd say let's hold off on deciding which schools you would apply to until you get your test scores, as they are a fundamental part of your candidacy...

Coming from manufacturing is fine. And actually every industry can be good, but I would suggest you reconsider your goals, as they are a bit improbable... there are enough finance people applying who want to go into finance and it's hard enough for them, and I think you can strengthen your candidacy by sticking with manufacturing.

As for what you can do to improve yourself: 1. Get more leadership, more responsibility, promoted. 2. Gain more volunteer work 3. Make sure you get excellent test scores.

Good luck on your tests!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 34

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 04:47
JonAdmissionado wrote:
paps3535 wrote:
Profile summary
-Acads:
10th -85%
12th -85%

-During college days,

My questions:

Hey there my friend,

First I'd say let's hold off on deciding which schools you would apply to until you get your test scores, as they are a fundamental part of your candidacy...

Coming from manufacturing is fine. And actually every industry can be good, but I would suggest you reconsider your goals, as they are a bit improbable... there are enough finance people applying who want to go into finance and it's hard enough for them, and I think you can strengthen your candidacy by sticking with manufacturing.

As for what you can do to improve yourself: 1. Get more leadership, more responsibility, promoted. 2. Gain more volunteer work 3. Make sure you get excellent test scores.

Good luck on your tests!

First of all,thanks for your response.I am pondering over points you have put.I completely agree with your reasoning on sticking to manufacturing field.But to be honest,this is not what I love to do.I am ready to put extra efforts for this shift.Now in this case,if I want to make my candidacy stronger,will you please let me know what should I do apart from good GMAT score?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well regarding your goals, you should keep one thing in mind: that once you get IN you can do whatever you want... and few people end up doing what they write in their goals (after all life is full of mystery and circumstance too!!!). The thing is I am thinking about how can we make your application strategy BETTER so that you have a better chance of getting accepted? And that's why I suggest you write something that is linked to your past experience, because it will in all likelihood make for a more convincing argument.

To make your candidacy stronger - the best things you can do are: get promoted, get more leadership, and do AMAZING on your GMAT. If you lack volunteer work, think about that as well.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!