Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 02:14
Hi...

I would please like to get an evaluation on my profile.. Though I am still yet to take the GMAT.. I've solid GRE scores(153/166 for verbal and 160/166 for quant) but going to take the GMAT in a month, and i'm going to get a circa 700 score..

-profile: 31, male, nigerian

-low undergraduate GPA from a Nigeria University (B.Eng Chemical Engineering) -around 60% average
-very high grade on the masters from a top ranked U.K university (MSc Process and Systems Engineering) - just a percentage point shy from finishing with the top degree. I had a 69% average and a 70% average makes a 'distinction', which is the highest grade.

5yrs solid work experience including one year in Chevron, graduate engineer
2 years Systems Engineer
and 3 years in a top government petroleum regulatory agency(a very prestigious job in my country, manage a lot of people, so lots of leadership)

extras: held a couple of leadership position: class representative of my MSc class
alot of volunteer mentoring
deeply involved in basketball as a volunteer coach and guide to high school kids

got a few scholarship awards especially a much vaunted postgraduate scholarship award for my masters study.

have started a couple of successful business endeavors in the past, currently involved in one, a very sustainable business that helps rural farmers find a market for their produce(really excited about this one)

post MBA goals: want to go into the finance or strategy/ policy side of the energy industry or any tech company

schools targeted: UCLA Anderson, Haas, Emory Goizueta, Darden, Owen and Georgia Tech

Would really like to hear about my chances and also any advice that you can kindly dish out wud be appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 13:25
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting, and congrats on what appears to be set up as a pretty strong applicant profile based on all of your experiences and interests.

Not sure if you are back in Nigeria or elsewhere based on your descriptions, but sounds as though you have at least some international experiences with your UK studies, and that while the undergrad may have been weak, you balanced that out some with strong academics in your masters degree.

Engineering is a common applicant background, but your government regulatory experience will likely help you stand out from the average engineering applicant, and like you said, any way that you can demonstrate you've gained leadership experiences is a plus, so be sure to emphasize that.

Your entrepreneurial ventures sound intriguing and the fact that you are passionate about that recent venture is great and should come through in the essays and interviews.

Your schools list sounds appropriate, and with a strong GMAT score you should have a shot at those programs. Likely the big opportunity to shine will be in your application essays, since that is where you tell your story before any potential interview, and your chance to catch attention and be remembered. So definitely work hard to create compelling essays to show who you are; what you will BRING to the program; what your short and long term career goals are; why you need the MBA at this point in your career; and why (each school) is right for you!

Please let us know how else we can help, and good luck on the process!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php