Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 06:55
I am worried about my odds at a top 10 MBA program. Specifically, I feel my biggest weakness is a lack of brand name prestige on my resume. To give you a brief summary of my profile:

GPA: 3.5 - Finance from no name small liberal arts school
MSF: 3.4 - Decently ranked program
GMAT: 730
Work experiencee: 2 years missionary work in russia and 2 years at matriculation as an analyst at a boutique investment bank.
Goals: Short-term: stay in investment banking but move into a large firm - Long term: open my own IB shop internationally, or head an office in eastern europe for an american bank.
Citizenship: Dual - one being the US
Race: mixed black/white
Additional Information: Involved with church in various positions and mentoring with my graduate school. Worked in 4 different countries.
Languages: Eng/Rus

I have been reading the forums with a special focus on the candidates that have received acceptance to M7 programs, and they are quite impressive. Being that I am quite intimidated by the quality of candidates that have gotten in, I am wondering if you think I have much of a shot.

What are your thoughts? Given that I wont apply until next year how can I improve?

Thanks for your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 16:59
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. By MSF are you referring to a Masters in Finance or another grad program? Assuming finance.

You have a lot of strengths to your candidacy, based on the info you've included here, namely:

-730 is an excellent GMAT score, congrats, higher than the average at all top schools
-strong GPA/academics
-combination of both investment banking and non-traditional social international work (mission) is a more unique combination and you would obviously bring a lot of varied experiences to classroom discussions
-global experience is very appealing, again to add to class discussions/team projects/diversity in viewpoints
-international citizenship (assuming Russian??)
-some thought so far to your career plans

No glaring weaknesses at this point; you mentioned being concerned with the caliber of your prior academic institutions... I wouldn't think of that as a huge weakness, more of the lack of an even-stronger academic credential, but on the flip side the GMAT is taken as a key predictor to your ability to handle the academic nature of the program and you've nailed that. And at least your grades look fairly strong.

So generally I think you are well positioned for good chances, and a lot will come down to a) what you've done, accomplished, achieved, impacted in your work experience, and b) your application essays/recs/interview. Don't underestimate the importance (and challenge) of the essays! The one part of your application where you create something from SCRATCH to represent YOU. ;) So that is where you really emphasize what makes you unique and what you bring to the table, as well as make a strong case for WHY you want the MBA and how you envision your career, and why each program is right for you.

In terms of over the next year, just aim to make impact where you can; jump into situations where you can show leadership and teamwork skills; go above and beyond what is expected of you where possible. And keep a collection of anecdotes/examples as you go, of these types of examples, so you'll be even better-prepared when it comes time to write essays and your resume!

Wishing you the best, keep us posted on q's and progress.

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php