Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '16
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 13:51
Hi Linda,

I posted my information in another forum on this site but figured it'd be better here. Any and all help you can give me is greatly appreciated! I'll also try to be as brief as possible.

Undergrad GPA: 3.11 (Concordia University (Montreal), BA in Communication Studies, Graduated in 2008)
GMAT Score: 640 (Q44, V34)
Nationality: French-Canadian (Caucasian)

-My first job was actually during university and I was the assistant manager at a video store for a total of 4 years. I was working 20+ hours a week during my BA, which helps explain my lower-than-wanted GPA.
-During the end of 2008, I started a music video/commercial production company with two friends of mine. After a few months, we completed a couple of projects but given all of our youth and inexperience (I was 23 then), the venture was soon abandoned.
-In early 2009, I started working for a film producer here in Montreal. I started off as being his assistant, though over time our work relationship developed and I became more of a producing partner. Since 2009, we've been involved in three feature-length films which had various distribution agreements (ie, they're not TV movies that no one ever saw). We've also been developing an $8.7M project on our own and we're getting closer and closer to actually getting it made. My title on the project would/will most likely be Associate Producer.
-I also produced a few commercials and music videos on the side just to keep myself busy.
-In the Summer months of 2011, I was part of a Graduate Course in Film Producing at UCLA. As such, I lived in Los Angeles for a few months and got to know the area and the school pretty well.
-In the Spring of 2012, I started working for Fidelity Investments as a Sales Coordinator. I also continued with my film work on the side.
-I've played ice hockey for the majority of my life and played some AA in my teens. I still play now in a recreational league.
-I've been a part of training programs for Aboriginal youth in Northern Quebec. Long story short, I put together particular film courses covering a range of general topics and taught them to a dozen youth or so.
-I will more than likely be traveling for a couple of months next May either in Europe/SE Asia/South America. I plan on either volunteering if I can find a good program or perhaps I might teach English and/or French.
-It may be important to point out that I have no background in math whatsoever, except for two courses during my BA (Intro to Real Estate and Personal Finance) for which I got A's for.

My career goals are fairly diverse (which I know isn't helping too much) but here's a sample of it:

-Work in the studio system of the film industry in Los Angeles. For example, I think that I could be very efficient in marketing. I'd also love to be a part of a studio's greenlighting committee, evaluating script/budget/risk for productions potentially being undertaken by the studio. I realize that this is very ambitious and I also realize that the lifespan of studio jobs is extremely short. Nonetheless, I believe I've got both the personality and the necessary aptitudes to be an asset to whichever studio/company would give me a shot.
-Along with strategic partners, launch my own start up film production company.
-Be a part of a tech and/or environmental start up.
-Though I have zero experience in this, I'd love to potentially flirt with the world of sports business and management.

My target programs right now are UCLA and USC due to them being in Los Angeles (tying into my post MBA film industry goals). They also seem to potentially have internships that tie into my top career goals.

I'm also looking at both Concordia and McGill here in Montreal due to both proximity and the fact that they're not bad programs at all. McGill's program in particular really piqued my interest when I attended their information session.

Since I'm a little late for R1 in the US, I'd preferably aim for my application to be sent during R2. I'm also only looking into doing Full Time MBA programs.

Basically, there's a couple of things I'd like to have an opinion on:

-Considering my background, how realistic is it for me to apply to top programs such as UCLA and USC? If I were to have a higher GMAT (700+), would it boost my chances by a lot or only marginally? If they're outside of my scope of options (which I realize they may be), are you aware of any other programs that could be good for me?
-I haven't done much research into the subject, but I could be very interested in pursuing my studies in Europe. Are there any programs in particular that you're aware of that might look at my profile positively?

Thanks again!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 17:34
Expert's post
Nick1138 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I posted my information in another forum on this site but figured it'd be better here. Any and all help you can give me is greatly appreciated! I'll also try to be as brief as possible.

Undergrad GPA: 3.11 (Concordia University (Montreal), BA in Communication Studies, Graduated in 2008)
GMAT Score: 640 (Q44, V34)
Nationality: French-Canadian (Caucasian)

-My first job was actually during university and I was the assistant manager at a video store for a total of 4 years. I was working 20+ hours a week during my BA, which helps explain my lower-than-wanted GPA.
-During the end of 2008, I started a music video/commercial production company with two friends of mine. After a few months, we completed a couple of projects but given all of our youth and inexperience (I was 23 then), the venture was soon abandoned.
-In early 2009, I started working for a film producer here in Montreal. I started off as being his assistant, though over time our work relationship developed and I became more of a producing partner. Since 2009, we've been involved in three feature-length films which had various distribution agreements (ie, they're not TV movies that no one ever saw). We've also been developing an $8.7M project on our own and we're getting closer and closer to actually getting it made. My title on the project would/will most likely be Associate Producer.
-I also produced a few commercials and music videos on the side just to keep myself busy.
-In the Summer months of 2011, I was part of a Graduate Course in Film Producing at UCLA. As such, I lived in Los Angeles for a few months and got to know the area and the school pretty well.
-In the Spring of 2012, I started working for Fidelity Investments as a Sales Coordinator. I also continued with my film work on the side.
-I've played ice hockey for the majority of my life and played some AA in my teens. I still play now in a recreational league.
-I've been a part of training programs for Aboriginal youth in Northern Quebec. Long story short, I put together particular film courses covering a range of general topics and taught them to a dozen youth or so.
-I will more than likely be traveling for a couple of months next May either in Europe/SE Asia/South America. I plan on either volunteering if I can find a good program or perhaps I might teach English and/or French.
-It may be important to point out that I have no background in math whatsoever, except for two courses during my BA (Intro to Real Estate and Personal Finance) for which I got A's for.

My career goals are fairly diverse (which I know isn't helping too much) but here's a sample of it:

-Work in the studio system of the film industry in Los Angeles. For example, I think that I could be very efficient in marketing. I'd also love to be a part of a studio's greenlighting committee, evaluating script/budget/risk for productions potentially being undertaken by the studio. I realize that this is very ambitious and I also realize that the lifespan of studio jobs is extremely short. Nonetheless, I believe I've got both the personality and the necessary aptitudes to be an asset to whichever studio/company would give me a shot.
-Along with strategic partners, launch my own start up film production company.
-Be a part of a tech and/or environmental start up.
-Though I have zero experience in this, I'd love to potentially flirt with the world of sports business and management.

My target programs right now are UCLA and USC due to them being in Los Angeles (tying into my post MBA film industry goals). They also seem to potentially have internships that tie into my top career goals.

I'm also looking at both Concordia and McGill here in Montreal due to both proximity and the fact that they're not bad programs at all. McGill's program in particular really piqued my interest when I attended their information session.

Since I'm a little late for R1 in the US, I'd preferably aim for my application to be sent during R2. I'm also only looking into doing Full Time MBA programs.

Basically, there's a couple of things I'd like to have an opinion on:

-Considering my background, how realistic is it for me to apply to top programs such as UCLA and USC? If I were to have a higher GMAT (700+), would it boost my chances by a lot or only marginally? If they're outside of my scope of options (which I realize they may be), are you aware of any other programs that could be good for me?
-I haven't done much research into the subject, but I could be very interested in pursuing my studies in Europe. Are there any programs in particular that you're aware of that might look at my profile positively?

Thanks again!

Nick,

Thank you for your post. To answer your questions:

1). UCLA and USC are both stretch programs for you, especially UCLA. A 700+GMAT would materially boost your chances of success at both programs.
2) I'm not sure of the programs strong in media and entertainment in Europe. Sorry.
3) For sports management, look into the University of Florida and Kelley.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '16
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.11

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 06:57
Hey Linda,

Thanks for your help! It's what I had figured about UCLA/USC. I'm looking into which other programs would be a good fit and I'm also doing research on European programs as we speak!

Thanks again!

Best,

Nick
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 21:40
Expert's post
Nick1138 wrote:
Hey Linda,

Thanks for your help! It's what I had figured about UCLA/USC. I'm looking into which other programs would be a good fit and I'm also doing research on European programs as we speak!

Thanks again!

Best,

Nick

You're welcome. Please let me know if you would like help with your application.

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 10:21
You're welcome. Please let me know if you would like help with your application.

Linda[/quote]

Hi Linda, I would greatly appreciate a profile review if you have the time.

680GMAT (44Q 40V) -- hope to get this up to INSEAD's average of 700 with a 75 percentile in the quant section
3.4 GPA at top 20 public university, BA in International Studies and Chinese Language
25 year old White/Hispanic Male

At matriculation, I will have four years of work experience in the clean tech/energy and environmental NGO sectors in SF and Beijing lots of market and policy research. I want to move away from the inefficiency of the NGO space, and focus on developing my business skills leveraging technology to mitigate our impact on the environment. In the mean time, I've cofounded a small company in the energy efficiency/software as a service space that is in extremely early development (worth mentioning?).

Aware of my quantitative deficiencies, I have taken online courses in Accounting and Statistics within the past year.

Lots of professional extracurriculars in the sustainability space in China and the US.

Goals: In the short-term, I hope to move into consulting in the energy/utility/technology sectors. In the long-term, I'd like to either work at/found a startup or PE/VC in this space. Is this too broad of goals? I hope to continue to have the opportunity to work internationally.

Target schools (respectively): INSEAD, Haas, Sloan, IE, Ross, IESE

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 17:13
Expert's post
quij wrote:

Linda

Hi Linda, I would greatly appreciate a profile review if you have the time.

680GMAT (44Q 40V) -- hope to get this up to INSEAD's average of 700 with a 75 percentile in the quant section
3.4 GPA at top 20 public university, BA in International Studies and Chinese Language
25 year old White/Hispanic Male

At matriculation, I will have four years of work experience in the clean tech/energy and environmental NGO sectors in SF and Beijing lots of market and policy research. I want to move away from the inefficiency of the NGO space, and focus on developing my business skills leveraging technology to mitigate our impact on the environment. In the mean time, I've cofounded a small company in the energy efficiency/software as a service space that is in extremely early development (worth mentioning?).

Aware of my quantitative deficiencies, I have taken online courses in Accounting and Statistics within the past year.

Lots of professional extracurriculars in the sustainability space in China and the US.

Goals: In the short-term, I hope to move into consulting in the energy/utility/technology sectors. In the long-term, I'd like to either work at/found a startup or PE/VC in this space. Is this too broad of goals? I hope to continue to have the opportunity to work internationally.

Target schools (respectively): INSEAD, Haas, Sloan, IE, Ross, IESE

Thanks in advance![/quote]

You have a competitive profile for your target schools, although Haas and MIT are a bit of stretch. You may also want to consider Duke and UT. Duke has major in energy and energy finance.

If you would like help with your apps, please let me know.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553