Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: 320 Q163 V157
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 20:56
Hi,

I would like my profile to be evaluated and the list of schools that I could probably look at for a Fall 2014 admit. I am not sure as to where my profile exactly stands and would like to know if I have a chance at the top 10/20 B-schools in the US.
GMAT (October 2013) - 670 (Q 48/V 34/AWA 5/ IR 3)
Planning to retake it in November and apply for round 2 deadlines.
GRE (April 2013) - Total - 320 (Q 163/V 157/AWA 4)

Background: Indian, Male, 25 years old

UG
Education - BE Mechanical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College (Affiliated to Anna University), May 2009 pass out
GPA - 7.1/10 (Above Average)
Final Year Project/Paper at Wabco India Limited (A subsidiary of TVS motors, one of the leading Auto manufacturers in India) on "Multi-Criteria ABC Inventory Analysis", where the primary objective was to device a systematic method to reduce inventory and thereby reduce inventory costs
Additional Secretary of the Mechanical Engineering department
Part of the Placement coordination team

Work Experience
Indian Hotels Company Limited
1. 3 years full time work experience at Indian Hotels Company Limited (Taj group of hotels - Part of the Tata Group). Initiated as a Graduate Engineering Trainee and then was posted as an Assistant Engineer (Second in command in the Engineering division at the unit level), leading a team of 25-30 employees
2. Lead the department during transitory stages when the unit did not have a Chief Engineer for 4-6 months.
3. The job profile included, but was not limited to, installation and maintenance of engineering equipment (Light/Heavy Machinery) at the unit, including DGs, boilers, chiller plants, transformers etc. The profile also included budget allocation and resource distribution between the various teams in the department.
4. Certified Internal Auditor for OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001
5. Lead the team to achieve Earthcheck Silver Certification in 2012 (Environmental bench marking initiative)
6. Certified Gold level in Process Improvement
7. Have been the team leader/Project coordinator in 10+ installation/commissioning projects (Large/Medium/Small machinery)

After 3 years, quit the company in Feb 2013

Bhumi
1. After, quitting IHCL, I started to volunteer at an NGO called Bhumi. It's India's leading youth non-profit youth volunteer organization which aims at providing supplementary education during the weekends at orphanages and community centers in English, Maths, Science, Computers, Arts and Sports and Career Counselling.
2. Part time teaching volunteer at Bhumi
3. Zonal Coordinator for Maths and Science - In charge of operations at 4 orphanages, that consists of 50-60 volunteers and 110 kids
4. Overall Science Coordinator for Bhumi - Involves development of syllabus and classes in tandem with the kids' education; Training of new volunteers, Budget allocation and distribution between various centers, Resource Management, HR coordination, expansion of program to other cities and core team development.
5. Involved in a program called Joy to the World at Bhumi, which involves fund raising activities for operational purposes
6. Received the Emerging Einstein award in April 2013 (4 months after joining Bhumi
7. Joined as a teaching volunteer in Jan 2013 and was promoted to Zonal Coordinator and then Science coordinator within 6 months
Bhumi is volunteer driven organization, wherein 99% of the team consists of non-paid volunteers and everyone works part-time.

Extra-curricular activities
1. Currently learning Italian at Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce (Beginner's level)
2. Learned French for 7 years at school (My French is a bit rusty though)
3. Part of Chennai Trekking Club (Non-profit) - wherein 2-5 day treks are organized on a weekly basis and I participate at least in one 2-3 days trek every month. I have not organized any treks but have been involved in the Photography and post-trek write up teams of all the treks that I have participated in.

As of now, I am currently volunteering for Bhumi and an active member of Chennai Trekking Club. I have taken a year's break from full-time employment to pursue my other interests. I would like to know as to how the admissions committee at the colleges would perceive it.
I am looking at MBA programs in Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Nonprofit and Government, General Management, Education and Engineering.

I would like to know as to what are the pros and cons of my profile and what are the aspects that I can highlight to the admissions committee in my SOPs and essays.
And I am planning to retake GMAT in November end as I am targeting a score of 730+. I would also like to know if it is safe to give the GMAT in November end and planning to apply for Round 2 deadlines.
I would also like to know as to what are the colleges that I should be targeting for, with my current GMAT score of 670 (As a safe bet)

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 22:30
Expert's post
agnikirupha wrote:
Hi,

I would like my profile to be evaluated and the list of schools that I could probably look at for a Fall 2014 admit. I am not sure as to where my profile exactly stands and would like to know if I have a chance at the top 10/20 B-schools in the US.
GMAT (October 2013) - 670 (Q 48/V 34/AWA 5/ IR 3)
Planning to retake it in November and apply for round 2 deadlines.
GRE (April 2013) - Total - 320 (Q 163/V 157/AWA 4)

Background: Indian, Male, 25 years old

UG
Education - BE Mechanical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College (Affiliated to Anna University), May 2009 pass out
GPA - 7.1/10 (Above Average)
Final Year Project/Paper at Wabco India Limited (A subsidiary of TVS motors, one of the leading Auto manufacturers in India) on "Multi-Criteria ABC Inventory Analysis", where the primary objective was to device a systematic method to reduce inventory and thereby reduce inventory costs
Additional Secretary of the Mechanical Engineering department
Part of the Placement coordination team

Work Experience
Indian Hotels Company Limited
1. 3 years full time work experience at Indian Hotels Company Limited (Taj group of hotels - Part of the Tata Group). Initiated as a Graduate Engineering Trainee and then was posted as an Assistant Engineer (Second in command in the Engineering division at the unit level), leading a team of 25-30 employees
2. Lead the department during transitory stages when the unit did not have a Chief Engineer for 4-6 months.
3. The job profile included, but was not limited to, installation and maintenance of engineering equipment (Light/Heavy Machinery) at the unit, including DGs, boilers, chiller plants, transformers etc. The profile also included budget allocation and resource distribution between the various teams in the department.
4. Certified Internal Auditor for OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001
5. Lead the team to achieve Earthcheck Silver Certification in 2012 (Environmental bench marking initiative)
6. Certified Gold level in Process Improvement
7. Have been the team leader/Project coordinator in 10+ installation/commissioning projects (Large/Medium/Small machinery)

After 3 years, quit the company in Feb 2013

Bhumi
1. After, quitting IHCL, I started to volunteer at an NGO called Bhumi. It's India's leading youth non-profit youth volunteer organization which aims at providing supplementary education during the weekends at orphanages and community centers in English, Maths, Science, Computers, Arts and Sports and Career Counselling.
2. Part time teaching volunteer at Bhumi
3. Zonal Coordinator for Maths and Science - In charge of operations at 4 orphanages, that consists of 50-60 volunteers and 110 kids
4. Overall Science Coordinator for Bhumi - Involves development of syllabus and classes in tandem with the kids' education; Training of new volunteers, Budget allocation and distribution between various centers, Resource Management, HR coordination, expansion of program to other cities and core team development.
5. Involved in a program called Joy to the World at Bhumi, which involves fund raising activities for operational purposes
6. Received the Emerging Einstein award in April 2013 (4 months after joining Bhumi
7. Joined as a teaching volunteer in Jan 2013 and was promoted to Zonal Coordinator and then Science coordinator within 6 months
Bhumi is volunteer driven organization, wherein 99% of the team consists of non-paid volunteers and everyone works part-time.

Extra-curricular activities
1. Currently learning Italian at Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce (Beginner's level)
2. Learned French for 7 years at school (My French is a bit rusty though)
3. Part of Chennai Trekking Club (Non-profit) - wherein 2-5 day treks are organized on a weekly basis and I participate at least in one 2-3 days trek every month. I have not organized any treks but have been involved in the Photography and post-trek write up teams of all the treks that I have participated in.

As of now, I am currently volunteering for Bhumi and an active member of Chennai Trekking Club. I have taken a year's break from full-time employment to pursue my other interests. I would like to know as to how the admissions committee at the colleges would perceive it.
I am looking at MBA programs in Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Nonprofit and Government, General Management, Education and Engineering.

I would like to know as to what are the pros and cons of my profile and what are the aspects that I can highlight to the admissions committee in my SOPs and essays.
And I am planning to retake GMAT in November end as I am targeting a score of 730+. I would also like to know if it is safe to give the GMAT in November end and planning to apply for Round 2 deadlines.
I would also like to know as to what are the colleges that I should be targeting for, with my current GMAT score of 670 (As a safe bet)

Thanks

I would prefer to suggest schools after you get your GMAT score. Your situation will change dramatically with a 730 and there is a range between a 670 and a 730.

To the extend you have treated your volunteer work at Bhumi as a job and carried real responsibility, and it seems like you have, that will help you. It will also help distinguish you from the many Indian IT applicants applying to business school. You also seem to have had decent leadership responsibility on your job.

Weaknesses:

1. You are currently unemployed. You will need to explain your current work in terms of what you want to do after your MBA as well as the immediate motivation for your volunteering at this point in time and for this organization. That isn't impossible, but somehow you are going to need to make sense of your professional decisions to the admissions committee.
2. Your MBA interests currently are all over the map. Consequently it seems like you don't know what you want to do with your MBA. You need to clarify what you want to do post MBA and what you need to study to achieve it.

You might be also interested in MBA Admissions for Indian Applicants .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: 320 Q163 V157
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 19:41
Hi,
First and foremost, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate the feedback.
The reason why I left my job at IHCL was that my role was confined to the Engineering section while I wanted a bigger portfolio. I had conversations with a lot of my peers and mentors in the industry and the general consensus was that transition from an Engineer to say a General manager or the head of a corporate unit was not likely as the industry preferred people from the Front office, Sales and marketing background. Hence, I am in need of the tools to make the transit and I believe that an MBA in General Management will help me out here.
Regarding my volunteer experience at a non-profit over the last year, it was something that I wanted to do right out of college, but due to my job restrictions, working 14 hours a day 6 days a week, I was unable to do so. I was interested in it for a long time but had no real experience and hence wanted to gain some real exposure on the field. That's why I spent the last year at Bhumi and Chennai Trekking Club (CTC), the former working in the education sector and the latter in the tourism and travel sector, two sectors that I have got my sights on. Volunteering is not something that I dabbled or experimented with. It is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and will also continue with it during and post my MBA.
My immediate goal post my MBA is to gain experience across different functionalities so that it would help me to start my own venture in 7-10 years.
And I retook the GMAT and got a 720 with a 50 in Quants, 38 in Verbal and a 7 in IR.